Good morning Vietnam!

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
I saw some lovely looking mint at the grocery store yesterday so I bought it and one thing led to another and I decided that tonight will be Vietnamese. So far, prep is underway for spring rolls (served wrapped in lettuce with some mint sprigs ), Vietnamese meatballs, Shrimp and Vegetable Pad Thai and Banh Xeo (Saigon Crepes). Not sure I'll get to the crepes yet - depending on how the rest of the day goes.

they all "look" good to me to----somehow don't quite measure up when I make them tho :censored: :eek:

Here's the verdict:

Spring Rolls were the best I've made. I rolled them using a new-to-me technique (a triangle shape rolled into an envelope vs. rolling like one of @Stick's cigarettes). My cast iron skillet worked well for frying, and I kept them warm in a 250 oven. To eat them, you wrap one in a lettuce leaf, stick in a sprig of mint and dip them in Nuoc Cham (dipping sauce made of soy sauce (usually fish sauce but we have fish allergy in home), sugar, garlic.

Stomp's Grilled Chicken was awesome (no surprise cuz he has grilling mastered).

The Hot Chili Mayo (mayo + sriracha) was delish with the meatballs and I'd make that again.

The Pad Thai had too many veggies for my liking (love veggies but not in this dish).

The Saigon Crepes were the experiment of the meal. The batter was rice flour, coconut milk, water, turmeric and salt. You fry them like a crepe in a small skillet and add in whatever filling you want such as vegs or cooked meat. They are supposed to get crispy - my batter was too thick. They were edible but not great.

Rumor has it that we (or is it me?) are entering a chicken cookoff tonight with @Three Bouys. I got this :p

Fried Spring Rolls.jpgGrilled Chicken Breasts.jpgVietnamese Meatballs with Hot Chili Sauce.jpgShrimp Veg Pad Thai.jpgSaigon Crepes.jpg

@Mrs. Stomp those dishes look awesome, but it only a 5 course meal😂
I can’t except the chicken dinner challenge, our chicken is heading to oven this time. I’ve taken the pellet grill to the cottage. So I concede the Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner to you😂

@Mrs. Stomp we miss those NYE dinners. Hopefully we can do it this year. 👍. Or even a get together for some cocktails and a boat cruise at the cottage this summer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks