Go get em boys and girls

quote:
Originally posted by sammy

You probably don't keep them cause you don't know how to clean them or your mom won't let you. When you get a little older you'll learn, probably get a smoker, and then you'll be "one of those guys" taking a few home. Nothing wrong with taking fish, that's what your paying for.

Bologna

WTF !!!

I think if the limit on the water you fish is 2, after you catch those 2 you should be done, regardless if you keep them or not. Putting fish into a net, grabbing ahold of it anywhere or dragging it onto the bank for a "quick" picture harms the fish, your crazy if you think different. You guys think you're conservationists by releasing all these trout you catch, but unless you're buying processed spawn, keep in mind the damage your doing by keeping tens of thousands of salmon eggs to use as bait.

quote:

I think if the limit on the water you fish is 2, after you catch those 2 you should be done, regardless if you keep them or not. Putting fish into a net, grabbing ahold of it anywhere or dragging it onto the bank for a "quick" picture harms the fish, your crazy if you think different. You guys think you're conservationists by releasing all these trout you catch, but unless you're buying processed spawn, keep in mind the damage your doing by keeping tens of thousands of salmon eggs to use as bait.

like I said, clueless.......or just trying to justify keeping his limit every time out......

There's been enough studies done on the subject of catch and release to prove it works.....I believe the CRAA in toronto has some good info on the subject if anyone cares to look into it. They catch, monitor and tranfer many steelhead and have very rarely had any mortalities due to handling......

Plain and simple, if C&R didn't work you would be seeing a whole lot more dead trout on the banks......the catch rates on some tribs approach the total run #'s themselves yet they continue to see fish return year after year.....

Why not educate yourself on the merits of catch and release as well as selective harvest. Staying within the sustainable harvest rate, protection of maiden spawners and repeat spawning rates are all factors that need to be taken into consideration for proper resource management. Every group involved with the wild Steelhead populations around the great lakes will vouch for catch and release as the most important part of sustaining a fishery. The ongoing Portage Creek study on Lake Superiour would be a good place to start your reading.....

As far as bait goes, to each thier own......I use alot of artificials and flies myself. I also keep a few salmon, usually from lake O every fall for roe and if that runs out I buy hatchery stuff. Fish cleaning stations at the ports can be a good source of skein as well. If you've ever fished lake Ontario for salmon you'd quickly realize that there is no shortage of them! The creeks down that way are bursting at the seams with the big boots! The populations are more than healthy and have been sustaining relatively highharvest for decades. Pretty hard to put a dent in their #'s in my opinion.

That's the last i'll say on the subject as I'm sure this idiot will continue to try and argue although he has absolutely no basis for any argument he makes......

Josh

quote:
Originally posted by giller

the topic go get em boys and girls the author of the topic i'm sure ment fish NOT EACH OTHER.

lol! Very true!

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Roelofsen

like I said, clueless.......or just trying to justify keeping his limit every time out......

There's been enough studies done on the subject of catch and release to prove it works.....I believe the CRAA in toronto has some good info on the subject if anyone cares to look into it. They catch, monitor and tranfer many steelhead and have very rarely had any mortalities due to handling......

Plain and simple, if C&R didn't work you would be seeing a whole lot more dead trout on the banks......the catch rates on some tribs approach the total run #'s themselves yet they continue to see fish return year after year.....

Why not educate yourself on the merits of catch and release as well as selective harvest. Staying within the sustainable harvest rate, protection of maiden spawners and repeat spawning rates are all factors that need to be taken into consideration for proper resource management. Every group involved with the wild Steelhead populations around the great lakes will vouch for catch and release as the most important part of sustaining a fishery. The ongoing Portage Creek study on Lake Superiour would be a good place to start your reading.....

As far as bait goes, to each thier own......I use alot of artificials and flies myself. I also keep a few salmon, usually from lake O every fall for roe and if that runs out I buy hatchery stuff. Fish cleaning stations at the ports can be a good source of skein as well. If you've ever fished lake Ontario for salmon you'd quickly realize that there is no shortage of them! The creeks down that way are bursting at the seams with the big boots! The populations are more than healthy and have been sustaining relatively highharvest for decades. Pretty hard to put a dent in their #'s in my opinion.

That's the last i'll say on the subject as I'm sure this idiot will continue to try and argue although he has absolutely no basis for any argument he makes......

Josh

Very well said Josh not much ya could add to that

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

quote:

sh+tR8, Anytime you want to hit the river, I'll be glad to show you how to catch trout.

Post a report once in a while and I might beleive that 90% of your posts are insulting other members or stirring the pot if you really believe what your saying you should just hang up your fishing gear and take up golf .You just name the time and place for this clinic your gonna put on and I will be there BTW it's SRT8 [:eek:)]

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

As of noon today the local rivers and streams still look like double double. Going to be at least a few days for a certain few tribs to clear up unless of course we get more rain in the near future.

I will check later today hope she's fishable soon I'm not a big fan of the other option.but I did hear a guy got busted there today don't know all the details but he lost his gear and got a fine nice to see a CO in the area actually catching some one.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

Yea, it was about time to see that guy busted!! He said goodbye to his nice shiny islander, and whatever rod it was fixed to. Also proves that the CO's do come when you call, so dont hesitate to do so. One less resource abuser off the creeks for awhile....

Dont think his name was "Sammy" but who knows...

halloween09.jpg

Don't know the details either but it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Him and another guy have been overdoing their limits for a while. We just couldn't prove it. There's a new CO for the area and he seems to be getting around alot. Probably meet him soon. Should be fishing at lunch now for a couple of days even though it is still clear.

Tim. The tribs north of my place feeding the main system are very high and mud. With no rain I'd say Sunday may be the earliest for good water. With the temps heading south we may need an auger to get to it though.

Stick

Prepare for every outing as if it were a military mission. Play every fish like you were dancing with the prettiest woman in the room!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ KERSPLASH!

DSC00287cropped.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by quinner01

Yea, it was about time to see that guy busted!! He said goodbye to his nice shiny islander, and whatever rod it was fixed to. Also proves that the CO's do come when you call, so dont hesitate to do so. One less resource abuser off the creeks for awhile....

Dont think his name was "Sammy" but who knows...

Any empty cans of Busch laying around the area?

halloween09.jpg

" Never mind if the horses are blind, just load the damn wagon"

quote:
Originally posted by Stick

Don't know the details either but it couldn't have happened to a better guy. Him and another guy have been overdoing their limits for a while. We just couldn't prove it. There's a new CO for the area and he seems to be getting around alot. Probably meet him soon. Should be fishing at lunch now for a couple of days even though it is still clear.

Tim. The tribs north of my place feeding the main system are very high and mud. With no rain I'd say Sunday may be the earliest for good water. With the temps heading south we may need an auger to get to it though.

Stick

Prepare for every outing as if it were a military mission. Play every fish like you were dancing with the prettiest woman in the room!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ KERSPLASH!

DSC00287cropped.jpg

Supposed to be +7 on monday I will be out for sure I have some big bags tied up so even if its still a bit dirty I'm fishing.

And ya that DB has been taking way to many fish for way to long now let's just hope he gets all the idiots that fish above the cable this year.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

Just something interesting that I read today, copied and pasted it from another board. If your like me and for the most part would rather catch Steelhead than eat them here's some proof that C&R works! Read the last last paragraph!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had several CRAA tagged fish caught in other rivers, only to have them show up at the Streetsville Fishway 1-3 weeks later. Several from Bronte, and a few from out east. Perhaps the fish was out partying with some other chromers, realized he/she was in the wrong place and headed for home?

It is very common for us to have tagged fish return after 1 year or 2 years to the ladder as well. So far roughly 30 of the fish lifted in the past month have tags from last fall or fall 2008.

This also shows just how succeptable steelhead are to multiple catches. This fish was caught in October on the Credit, November on an eastern trib and it may still be in the system for 6 months to spawn. To date we appear to have 25-30% of the tagged fish from this fall have been landed a second time and reported.

John

"Give a little back to the resource we all love"

Thanks Josh. Love to read that research going on but don't have the time to search it out right now. Over the years I've hit more than 1 fish with distinguishing marks over and over. Would love to swim with them for a couple of years just to put to rest alot of theories that have been spinning around in my noggin. They say that only crazy people talk to the fish they hook. Could that be true? :p WOOOOOOOOOOOWHOOOOOOOOOOOOO YAA BABY!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Stick

All I ask from livin' is to have no chains on me!

DSC00287cropped.jpg

Great bit of info there John is a very dedicated man and has really turned that fishery around although I don't fish it vary much.

Dave don't worry your not the only 1 LOL and yeah it was nice to chat today even if it was breif I got owned 3 times LOL can't wait for things to clear up.

Shawnsavitar_psd-1-1.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks