Fruit of the Natives

Jchevy

I know it's not hunting game but nice to know - DSC00210.JPGDSC00211.JPGDSC00211.JPGPaw Paw; from my tree planted about 15 yrs ago now has bore fruit for 4 years increasing yield each year. 22 this season. Look for them in the bush-

I have 3 that bear fruit now . for the last 2 years had a little less than the 1st year myself. I planted 9 years ago , but the trees I planted were saplings about as thick at the base as a finger

Attachments

• 20180706_191000.jpg
    20180706_191000.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20180706_191029.jpg
    20180706_191029.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 36
Does it taste similar to something else? Just wondering what the flavor is like.

Depends on your palate and how ripe they are , some people say banana- mango , pineapple kiwi strawberry. myself it reminds me of melon and banana with hints of strawberry or kiwi at the end . the riper the better , I'll wait til they are falling off the tree if I can or before the critters get them lol. When the skin is yellow is when I prefer to eat them . At that point they smell like juicy fruit gum.

Talked to an old woodcutter about Paw Paw trees and he only seen one in his lifetime and it fell into the lake. He said it tasted like banana .

Right now the leaves are a golden yellow color,easy to see;they stand out. A good spot to see them is Edison Drive in Vienna;cross the bridge and on the creek 'side' a good 1/8 mile between the road and creek. Been to this place many times-never saw fruit or flowers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks