frozen fries

packrat

was wondering if there is a better way to prepare them besides baking in oven---always find they come up short of what I would like

Deep fried is the best but not the best for you.
Certain brands fry better than others

get some seasoning salt
View attachment 38232
View attachment 38233
On my shopping list now! I do a lot of oven roasted potatoes -cubes not fry shape - parboil for 5 minutes then dry thoroughly and roast in 425 oven with a drizzle of olive oil for about 35 minutes or until they blister and brown. They don't provide the same delight as a fresh cut fry (fried) but they are pretty good with that first boil step.

I've been experimenting with the convection mode on my oven with good results. I can cook frozen wings and fries at the same time and temperature at less time & temp the packaging says.

Otherwise there is nothing like hand cut double cooked deep fried taters !

I've been experimenting with the convection mode on my oven with good results. I can cook frozen wings and fries at the same time and temperature at less time & temp the packaging says.

Otherwise there is nothing like hand cut double cooked deep fried taters !

Makes sense as the base formula for convection vs conventional is reduce temp by 25* and time × .75.

So less moisture in connection cooking (the fan) and better heat circulation/distribution.

On my shopping list now! I do a lot of oven roasted potatoes -cubes not fry shape - parboil for 5 minutes then dry thoroughly and roast in 425 oven with a drizzle of olive oil for about 35 minutes or until they blister and brown. They don't provide the same delight as a fresh cut fry (fried) but they are pretty good with that first boil step.
I can vouch for @Mrs. Stomp 's par-boiled, oven-roasted potatoes. Just about as tasty as those you get from the fry truck, but without all the fat. When you're watching cholesterol, you have to make some sacrifices. But @Mrs. Stomp , why can't they be cut like fries?

Yup, that type of roasted potatoes are great.

The Wife ads this stuff along with the oil in a large bowl, stirring/flipping to coat spuds prior to baking/roasting.

msdsh.jpg

I agree with HH Gord, for fries, I do'em in the deep fryer.

BUT, I also agree with @Mrs. Stomp and like to change things up once in a while and do some oven roasted potatoes. I wash'em well, cube them skin on. To season them I put canola oil in the big stainless steel bowl I have, into the oil I mix garlic powder, lowry's season salt, onion powder, keg steak spice, pepper, and oregano then mix in the cubed potatoes so each is properly coated, then onto a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper on the bottom sprayed lightly with a no stick spray, then into the oven for half an hour or so at 375F. I usually serve this with BBQ steaks so I can go outside and cook the steaks without having to worry about what else I might be having with them cooking on the stove.

Potatoes are a funny thing. You can do soooooooo many things with them. Mashed with many different ways to season or flavor them, scalloped, fries, wedges, duchess, baked, boiled, finely julienned then add some corn starch and make a nest out of them using a mesh basket (sieve) then into a deep fryer, pancakes, hash browns and the list goes on...but I won't because I'm beginning to feel like Bubba from 'Forest Gump' as he goes on about the different ways to prepare shrimp :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If your roasting potatoes, try tossing them in melted duck fat after par-boiling then season and into the oven 😉

Josh

I'm going to be that guy....Get yourself an air fryer. I was skeptical at first, but fries turn out extremely good, chicken wings are fantastic, I made donuts last week, steak, breaded shrimp (wasnt my fav, but that was user error, I didn't thin the egg wash out) possibilities are endless.

We can live on taders alone, if need be !!!! Yes very few meats without them here..

We can live on taders alone, if need be !!!! Yes very few meats without them here..

I can remember meals as a kid and later, up at the cottage when the potatoes in the local gardens were first coming in,

Boiled new potatoes in the skins, butter, salt and pepper, that was it.

No meat, no salad, no side, just spuds.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks