Friday afternoon fish and chips

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I don't consider myself a foodie by any means. But I do love to play around with fishy treats and this one turned out really good!

I was gifted a big container of Zatarains fish fry mix awhile back and have been playing with preparation to tweak it just a little. I didn't realize what I've been missing in terms of crispness and crunch until I tried this cornmeal based mix! I don't think I can go back to a non cornmeal batter at this point.

Today's experiment involved chunked Walleye into a big Ziploc and then adding a few big shakes of Cholula Chile Lime hot sauce and a very liberal coating of garlic powder, shook well then added the Zatarains fish fry mix. Th extra moisture provided by the hot sauce did what I hoped and doubled up the thickness of the batter. Instead of a very thin coating that barely darkened while frying this batch had a slightly heavier coating and really browned up in the fryer. The difference between the last batch and today's was significant! The cooking temp/time was identical...

Attachments

• IMG_20210625_165123.jpg
    IMG_20210625_165123.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210625_171752.jpg
    IMG_20210625_171752.jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 34
I don't consider myself a foodie by any means. But I do love to play around with fishy treats and this one turned out really good!

I was gifted a big container of Zatarains fish fry mix awhile back and have been playing with preparation to tweak it just a little. I didn't realize what I've been missing in terms of crispness and crunch until I tried this cornmeal based mix! I don't think I can go back to a non cornmeal batter at this point.

Today's experiment involved chunked Walleye into a big Ziploc and then adding a few big shakes of Cholula Chile Lime hot sauce and a very liberal coating of garlic powder, shook well then added the Zatarains fish fry mix. Th extra moisture provided by the hot sauce did what I hoped and doubled up the thickness of the batter. Instead of a very thin coating that barely darkened while frying this batch had a slightly heavier coating and really browned up in the fryer. The difference between the last batch and today's was significant! The cooking temp/time was identical...
Sure looks tasty.

Not sure where everyone is from but by sheer coincidence my wife brought home a box of Zatarains Fish Crisp from the St.Thomas Superstore yesterday. Looking to try it out this weekend.

I looked up a cornmeal based recipe last night, thought it was really good
I nice change from my regular egg and Premium Plus cracker crumbs method I’ve always used.

45AE69B6-6A4F-454F-98E2-219B599A7264.jpeg

Are you coming fishing tomorrow morning ?? @Red Hering
I almost made it fishing yesterday,@Derkd9 till I discovered this electrical problem while I was hooking up my boat to my truck. I am hoping to go tomorrow if I can get this fixed today.I am going to post something within a half hour here on @stomp so that everyone else such as yourself can put in their input if they like on my current situation. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks