fresh water clams

paddle maker

I was at deer creek last week and found several clams. I remember finding them in big creek as a kid to. Has any one ever tried eating them?

I found this in the 2015 Guide to Eating Ontario Game Fish under "Concerns for Consumption" Page 19. I'd have to be pretty hungry to try 'em.

Clams Although freshwater clams are often readily available in many Ontario water bodies, we don’t recommend that you eat them. Clams are filter feeders and are usually low in chemical contaminants, but for the same reason, they can harbour harmful bacteria and other pathogens. If they are not fully cooked, they may cause health problems such as food poisoning.

We picked them several years ago while moose hunting, nothing wrong with them. Damn tasty, but definitely should be fully cooked. Never thought about regulations on them.

hey there are lots of mussels in erie they may be on the smaller side but the more you cook the more you will have.

I think I would try ones from the cold clear waters of the north before I tried them from the toilet waters of southern Ontario

Tried them from the northern waters. Very "gritty". Probably need to be purged to remove the grit.
Perhaps a 12-24hr water purge, like is done to crawfish in Louisiana. Removes the sand and debris from the outer bits, and clears the intestines.

Cool story: I've had business trips to the Louisiana coast where crawfish are very available. It's common to see hand-made signs advertising crawfish for sale from the backs of trucks, road side stands, etc. Similar to how local corn is sold here in Ontario. Most signs have two prices: "Purged" and "Normal", with the purged price being a bit higher. I am allergic to shellfish (confirmed for Atlantic lobster, shrimp, and Atlantic clams); I'm not willing to test for the rest, since my allergy is the "24-hour open up the sluices at both ends" type, not the "neck & face swelling" that others (including my brother) get. I refer to my reaction as "The Purge" :vomit:

Imagine my confusion when I see "Purged" crawfish for sale. :unsure:

I was much relieved when I was told "Purged" means "cleaned off all grit and intestinal materials.

Ciao!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks