Freighter Canoe for Ducks

Surfnturf

I've been waterfowl hunting since I was a kid but mainly creeks, and fields, no bigger water/marshes etc., and I am interested in getting into some bigger water hunting. I have a 20 ft aluminum fishing boat with I/O that would be too big and also have a 16 foot Scott Freighter that I love using up north on our annual moose hunt. I think I might be pushing the limits with the 16 footer, but not sure and am entertaining moving up to a 18 footer for added measure of safety if it makes sense. Right now I run the freighter with either a 4hp outboard or electric depending on application. Anyone have experience running a freighter for ducks or any thoughts?

I used a sportspal wide transom with a 3.5hp 4 stroke for ducks for several years. I think you’d do well on many waterbodies with a 16 foot freighter. The bay might be tough on some days in the outer marsh but inner marsh should be good to go.

To be clear , are we talking a square back canoe or the Scott boat that has a proper transom. If it's the latter I would go with it for shooting the Unit. Excellent boat , very stable and will take up to a 15 HP. My brother has one and loves it !

To be clear , are we talking a square back canoe or the Scott boat that has a proper transom. If it's the latter I would go with it for shooting the Unit. Excellent boat , very stable and will take up to a 15 HP. My brother has one and loves it !
I'm talking about "square back canoe" or freighter. The duck boats are good looking units, compared to my current Makobe model, it is about 11" wider beam than mine 53" vs 42", If moving up to an 18' Albany model, it has a 50" beam. Looking at the design of the duck boat it would definitely be more stable and handle more hp.

We hunted the unit for the first time all last season out of our Scott 16 foot square stern canoe. It's great for the inner blinds but weren't comfortable going to the outside blinds. The motor worked ok in the main channels but once in the small cuts it would just get bogged down in weeds so ended up removing it and paddling.

Okee dokee ! I once owned a Scanoe from Coleman so similar to your freighter square back . Put a 6 HP Johnson on it and it flew ! Surprisingly very stable and the hull material was indestructible whereas fiberglass doesn't like ice so late season hunting would be a No, No ! The Scott Duck Boat would be the best choice if you are able to find one. I think they made a 14 and 16 footer (or was it 12 and 14 ? ) get the big one ! With a bit of plywood you can make decking on it and have it look like those old St. Lawrence Duck boats. Add a 15 HP with a 2 blade prop and you will have an excellent rig ! I am not sure how a 6 or 10 HP Go-Devil would work on it due to the Grab Rail that you need. Also there was a posting/discussion a while back regarding canoes and safety while hunting The Unit that you may want to read ?

The Scott duck boat is an excellent boat for unit . Very stable , and will haul a big load.It draws very little water , but I don’t considerate it suitable for big water hunting. I have a 16 footer that I haven’t used for several years , and would be willing to part with . It’s on a galvanized trailer , always stored inside . I have packed it in as far as duckhunting goes ,and also have a bunch of decoys , calls etc. and other stuff I would be willing to sell. If interested send me an email

The Scott duck boat is an excellent boat for unit . Very stable , and will haul a big load.It draws very little water , but I don’t considerate it suitable for big water hunting. I have a 16 footer that I haven’t used for several years , and would be willing to part with . It’s on a galvanized trailer , always stored inside . I have packed it in as far as duckhunting goes ,and also have a bunch of decoys , calls etc. and other stuff I would be willing to sell. If interested send me an email
Message sent

I have been trout fishing out of a 14' Scott Duck Canoe for 20 years now. 2 guys can stand up all day and be comfortable. Couldn't have found a better vessel that can cut through the current while being so stable.

I use to own a 16'Scott Duck boat and enjoyed many days shooting in the unit in it. It was stable, very shallow draft and easy to hide. On the downside the very straight sides made it very wet when crossing even moderate chop. Not dangerously so just uncomfortable as the waves hit the straight vertical sides and splashed over hunters and everything else in the boat. If you already own the freighter canoe I would try it a couple of times before you buy something new. Depending on how and where you hunt it may suite you just fine.

Thanks for all the replies. The more I heard about and looked into the Scott Duck boat the more I liked the idea. Luckily I located a 16 footer for a good price and am picking it up on Friday. I figured that my freighter is a perfect size for what I currently use and would also be ideal to use for ducks in creeks, however I think the duck boat will fill a gap for a bit bigger water. The guy that had it was using as a fishing boat on a small lake up north.

It has a 9.9 merc 2 stroke on it, now do I keep it, maybe put a 15 hp carb upgrade on it, or replace with 4 stroke o/b, surface drive, or maybe long tail? Just need to rig it up with a blind etc in time for fall. The wife is so excited too! LOL Can never have too many toys.

Last edited:
I agree, I had a 15hp on mine and rarely ever opened it right up. Use it for at least the first season with the 9.9 and then make a decision.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks