free the lynn ?? give me a break!

angler

Read in the paper that some people from long point bay assn (or what ever) met with MNR re dam in Port Dover. The represent 'free the lynn'
Unless these people live in Port Dover seems to me they should mind their own business. If not ,I have a lot of ideas for other towns where I might like to fish.
What ever bows spawn upstream in the new river will not make any difference to the lake population.
Further more ,with all due respect to Josh who seems to be a true fisherman, any 'bow' stream I have been on has a lot more debris on it than a speck or brown stream. So why spoil a good brown stream?
Silver lake has been a part of Port Dover for over 100 years . There is a heritage so unless you live there , mind your own business.This is why I think the free the Lynn guys are a bit selfish/shortsighted.
The Lynn now is a good fishery why does it need rainbows? I do understand there is nothing better than the fight of a rainbow but I completely enjoyed two days of browns and specks.
As well what about the silt effect on the marina and river downstream?
I have fished bows and browns all my years, I think you should give the Lynn a break.
Sorry Stomp if this stirs the pot.

I guess you live on Prospect Street. The residents there are the only ones who will benefit from restoring the dam/lake. The real issue is spending a lot of taxpayer money (from all residents of Norfolk County) on a project which will bring in no extra tourist dollars for the County and will serve no other purpose than to appease a few residents. Oh and by the way I have seen "Save Silver Lake" signs anywhere from Tillsonburg to Scotland so according to your reasoning those people should mind their own business too. TC

I think the point could be larger ,but if that is the real issue so be it -it is not rainbows being able to go upstream.

The point of removing old dams that are no longer needed is to return rivers and creeks to their natural state, which is something that we as fishermen and conservationists should be supporting. The river ran free for thousands of years before humans decided to build the dam and greatly alter the river for their own selfish reasons. Wanting to return a river to it's natural state is not what you'd call being selfish, that's what you'd refer to as being a conservationist. Reversing the damage caused by humans is a good thing.

I don't live near Port Dover and could care less what happens to the dam. Just thought I'd share an opinion from the other side of the fence when it comes to useless dams...

Dams , unless used for flood control are moneypits and liabilities to the owners. Public money is in scarce supply and to spend any $$ on any dam that has outlived its usefulness by the reservoir silting in, is illogical - there are more important priorities that having an impounded puddle to splash out in. There are liabilities with these dams as well - if one of these dams fail, and they do fail, the owner is responsible for damages downstream - and that can be onerous.

It's better to decommission these dams and let the watercourses go back to their natural state.

WR

Norfolk county has spend money enough on this problem. Too many weak decisions. We don't own it so step aside and do the right thing. In the meantime, our roads are in terrible shape due to lack of funding and misspend tax dollars from all of Norfolk. !

Let's fix the bridges on consesion a, troyer road, Hazen road and the 4th before we sink another dollar in silver lake.

Speed up the inevitable and demolish it! It's a completely useless and possibly dangerous structure. Just my opinion....

Josh

I wouldn't worry much about replacing the dam. The Feds say they don't have the millions of $$$ needed to rebuild it, nor does the province so that leaves the county to foot the bill of the several million dollars needed to get the dam back to what it was. No money from the feds and no money from the province means that dam isn't going to be done. So why get all wound up? That dam isn't going back up in my lifetime. I am from east Hamilton, it took the city 50 years to start working on the Red Hill Expressway. Even the idiots that strapped themselves to the trees couldn't stop even the snail like progress.

Silver Lake was pretty, we would stop there a few times in the summer to have our foot long death dogs and fries. I have never seen more than a few people there at any given time. Once I saw 2 folks sitting in lawn chairs with rods and reels, once. I tossed a tube into the water that day and caught a 6" perch. The gentleman said that was the first fish they saw that summer. For those that live in those Mansions that now have mud front property rather than water front maybe they can pay for the dam, I know Norfolk county isn't.

Personally, from decades of crawling creek banks, I wouldn't want to see bows go up any farther and mix with a somewhat naturalised fishery that has evolved on the upstream side of this impoundment. Yes removal of dams is a good idea in most situations to correct water temp and flow fluctuations but change for the sake of change? We have a very diverse fishery in our area. Why experiment and F it up? I know of creek specks that exist because of farm ponds on streams, genetically resident strain rainbow that naturally rarely get bigger than 16", because of impoundments. There are Brown trout populations that take a beating from fishing pressure and thrive because of segregation from lake run populations.

Is there not another dam above Silver Lake? If there is who cares about wasting $$$ on rebuilding a man made lake in a lakeside town? Seems to be enough water around to find something to do, watch, enjoy. There is a good existing fishery here to protect but with another existing wall to halt lake fish migration why spend millions on a goldfish bowl? Just curious.

Ya that's a head scratcher......it's funny how the free flowing black creek hasn't caused any sediment related issues. of course this is never brought to the fore front by the pro dam wingnuts.....and who's selfish/shortsighted?? Give me a break.

yeah there is stick just above silver lake so cant see what the difference its going to make by taking out the dam , seems to me that the lynn is free all the way to silver lake, are they going to take out the waterfall as well?. sounds like a smoke screen to me. im not up on the silver lake deal just a observation

yeah there is stick just above silver lake so cant see what the difference its going to make by taking out the dam , seems to me that the lynn is free all the way to silver lake, are they going to take out the waterfall as well?. sounds like a smoke screen to me. im not up on the silver lake deal just a observation
The next dam upriver is on private property so I don't think there will be any action on that one. My main thing isn't to create another fishery but to not waste any more taxpayer money on this.
Yes there is a good brown fishery on the Lynn but access is an issue as with most streams in the area.

Well said trsky. I think the fish migration is at the bottom end of the spectrum here. It's about improving water quality not to mention this a very cost prohibitive project for tax payers. It should also be noted that the volume of water held back by misners is considerable in comparison to iveys. The difference in DO and temp below the two are night and day.

Since I haven't been around Silver Lake in quite a while, is it fully impounded now or drawn down and running like a creek or at half height at Misners?

I am for removing misner dam. The next dam up, Ivey dam, blew a hole in it last year, so some fish could probably make it past it. The Lynn has great potential. Plus allowing steelhead in it will not destroy the resident trout population. There is lots of examples of creeks that support all three trout species.

ok so lets blow the water fall up as well while your at it lol, cost effectiveness is becoming very female liberal here . maybe we should sell misners damm to hydro while we are at it . lol just as cost effective i guess . but this is the bitchernette dont you know

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks