Food Plot's

can't miss

Toying with the idea of a small food plot, and looking at our garden for idea's. Mostly for viewing, deer find it yrly snacking on late season growth. Looking at a 30 x 30 or so, spot out back by our pond, still visible from the house.
Chard, spinach and the dreaded kale grow well into Dec, moist area here, and there fairly cheap. Anyone have any idea's on root crop's, ie. turnip, beet's ect that they may target after growth freezes? Thanks

I’ve watched a number of videos on YouTube where they are hunting over a turnip food plot

brassica's do well here, sugar beet mix, I've been doing food plots for 7 years now. some stuff does not work , and some do,
I bought the cabelas sugar beet blend in a 5lbs bag, and it was growing and green al the way to the end of year and well into spring, best fall food plot i put down yet.
For a year round cover crop i use the white tail institute white clover , in a 5 lbs bag. and spread accordingly. this will last 5 years, just have to cut it twice if your lucky, once it's established , your off to the races, turkey and deer hit it pretty good,

I have spend countless hours observing the deer and these plots, these are my 2 go to seeds i drop in south ontario.
I did my research on soil samples, did what was needed to get good ground to grow in,
i brought in some tree eating equipment to take back 10ft all the way around farmers field, and a few trails through the bush for the white tail seeds, and i used the sugar beet mix in a big concentration for a real food plot in the bush, i took out enough trees to allow for the right amount of light for growth.

I also did the pond on the same farm with millet and rice, went in and sprayed to kill everything, fabricated a drag for my 4 wheeler to scratch up the dead plants once they were crisp. drained the pond to kill off the crappy sortem weeds that are pretty much every pond , and never die nice. i planted the rice in the pond banks, and millet around the top and outside of pond, that was this years project and will have to see how the birds like it this season, so far i have harvested more birds than with nothing planted there.
a little work for a long return is nice to see and observe. i've never had lake ducks visit the pond ever, now i have them and more,

Have any questions , fire away.

Last edited:
Lots of great options for a food plot. Friends have good luck with brassicas. One farm I hunt plants tillage radish as a cover crop and they love the tops. Other friends just plant soybeans late so that they are still green this time of year. The deer will eat the leaves until they brown off and then go after the pods. Lots of commercial mixes available as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks