Followup on Large plane disturbing bass beds

fishing diva

Thanks for your thoughts on lack of smallies this year. I agree that there are many factors affecting the fishing but I really believe this plane has disrupted their spawning cycle and many fish simply got scared and left their nests. Do not want to see a repeat of this next year. A fishing friend called the Coastguard with lots of questions as the huge aircraft is still out there as of today (July 11) doing maneuvers. Coastguard says its not their plane...owned by a private company and nothing they can do. GRRRRR. This plane is the size of a huge commercial plane not a pontoon plane. They are out there for hrs per day. We can hear the noise from Shady Akers to Pottahawk so pretty sure the fish can too. Watching it in action, the wind turbulence on the lake is incredible, as the bay is fairly shallow. Just my thoughts....dont beat me up.

I’d have to agree with you. The smallie fishing has been unbelievably tough this year in the bay. Everywhere else I’ve fished for smallies this year has been amazing.

Other spots on Erie like maitland and mohawk island have been pure gold . Tons of big smallies and tons of smaller pounders. Something drove the smallies off the beds and into the main basin early. What else could it be ?

Hi,
Did they say whose plane it is? I am thinking the Ministry of Natural resources needs to get involved.

Going out of Turkey point in the morning for smallies 1 last time. Any one know of some perch fishing in the area? Running out solo if someone wants to go send me a number to text.

Hi,
Did they say whose plane it is? I am thinking the Ministry of Natural resources needs to get involved.
Coastguard are keeping pretty quiet about this and are just saying its a private company plane and shirking off questions. I think several people need to do some calling to the ministry and bring this to their attention.

Let's not jump to conclusions about the lack of bass being caught.

I remember a certain 6-8 member who was also unknown in origin & intent. Like the bass, some members took the bait while others were spooked. But in the end like our LPB bass, most of them returned (y)

We were out there yesterday and the plane was taking off close enough to us, it's wake made it over to our boat. We weren't in danger at all but did figure that there's a large bay and no reason they needed to be so close to the boats. Perhaps, they could even use the lake instead of the bay?

Let's not jump to conclusions about the lack of bass being caught.

I remember a certain 6-8 member who was also unknown in origin & intent. Like the bass, some members took the bait while others were spooked. But in the end like our LPB bass, most of them returned (y)
@Extra Virgin, this thread is not about inflatable spawning beds.?‍♀️

This is what I have found out so far. Below is an email from Nav Canada - Everyone please contact Transport Canada and lets get this plane out of Inner Bay

"Thank you for your email.

NAV CANADA is a private corporation mandated to provide civil air navigation services in Canadian airspace and any other airspace delegated to Canada (“Canadian – Controlled Airspace”). However, we are not a regulatory body and have no responsibility for aircraft operating in uncontrolled airspace or at uncontrolled aerodromes.

Aircraft in uncontrolled airspace operate under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), meaning they assume responsibility for their separation from all other aircraft and are not assigned routes or altitudes by air traffic control.

Pilots operating under Visual Flight Rules are required to abide by the rules and restrictions outlined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) which are enforced by Transport Canada, the federal government aeronautical authority in Canada. Concerns about regulatory matters should be directed to them at services@tc.gc.ca.
Thank you for your email.

NAV CANADA is a private corporation mandated to provide civil air navigation services in Canadian airspace and any other airspace delegated to Canada (“Canadian – Controlled Airspace”). However, we are not a regulatory body and have no responsibility for aircraft operating in uncontrolled airspace or at uncontrolled aerodromes.

Aircraft in uncontrolled airspace operate under Visual Flight Rules (VFR), meaning they assume responsibility for their separation from all other aircraft and are not assigned routes or altitudes by air traffic control.

Pilots operating under Visual Flight Rules are required to abide by the rules and restrictions outlined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) which are enforced by Transport Canada, the federal government aeronautical authority in Canada. Concerns about regulatory matters should be directed to them at services@tc.gc.ca."

✈️ plane seen circling around port Rowan here a dozen time before landing

Attachments

• DDF454AE-5AA3-48C8-B0B9-AB15C9A87E00.jpeg
    DDF454AE-5AA3-48C8-B0B9-AB15C9A87E00.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 86
  • B77A2BAC-33AA-45AD-BAA6-5FC30E8705B5.jpeg
    B77A2BAC-33AA-45AD-BAA6-5FC30E8705B5.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for your thoughts on lack of smallies this year. I agree that there are many factors affecting the fishing but I really believe this plane has disrupted their spawning cycle and many fish simply got scared and left their nests. Do not want to see a repeat of this next year. A fishing friend called the Coastguard with lots of questions as the huge aircraft is still out there as of today (July 11) doing maneuvers. Coastguard says its not their plane...owned by a private company and nothing they can do. GRRRRR. This plane is the size of a huge commercial plane not a pontoon plane. They are out there for hrs per day. We can hear the noise from Shady Akers to Pottahawk so pretty sure the fish can too. Watching it in action, the wind turbulence on the lake is incredible, as the bay is fairly shallow. Just my thoughts....dont beat me up.
I just found your reply from last fall and now it is early June. So far for 2019, no plane has been spotted. I just saw a very recent
picture that was posted of a few nice smallies caught and released in the bay while 2 guys were out perch fishing. Fingers crossed.....the smallies are back and this year will be a great fishing season!

Last edited:
I just found your reply from last fall and now it is early June. So far for 2019, no plane has been spotted. I just saw a very recent
picture that was posted of a few nice smallies caught and released in the bay while 2 guys were out perch fishing. Fingers crossed.....the smallies are back and this year will be a great fishing season!

Did anyone ever find out who owned the plane and why they were landing and taking off?

The plane is out of London International Airport and it is operated by International Test Pilots School. When I text them last year and told them about some of the obstacle's that I have found while fishing that are not that far below the surface they said they probably wouldn't be operating the HU-16 any more for 2018 but he said they would probably be operating again in the Spring or early Summer of 2019. The guys name that sent me the text is Giorgio Clementi President of ITPS ( g.clementi@itpscanada.com )

The plane is out of London International Airport and it is operated by International Test Pilots School. When I text them last year and told them about some of the obstacle's that I have found while fishing that are not that far below the surface they said they probably wouldn't be operating the HU-16 any more for 2018 but he said they would probably be operating again in the Spring or early Summer of 2019. The guys name that sent me the text is Giorgio Clementi President of ITPS ( g.clementi@itpscanada.com )

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks