Fishing Report - Mayan Riviera March 20

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
2 weeks ago, I was fishing through 16" of Lake Erie ice. 2 days ago, I was fishing the Gulf of Mexico and the only ice in sight was in the cooler keeping the cerveza cold. I took a 1/2 day charter out of El Cid Marina near Puerto Moreales on the Mayan Riviera. I was joined by a couple from Minnesota and a Captain and Mate from Mexico. A second boat with 3 guests and 2 crew fished with us. Each guest paid US $130 for 4 hours fishing on the Gulf aboard a 28' diesel-equipped Bertram and all the beer and pop you could drink. Weather conditions were ideal, with a slow roll coming in off the Gulf.

Heading out of port:

Thumbs up from the Captain:

We started trolling topwater, pulling what I think were ballyhoo, rigged to mimic surfacing baitfish. One of the boats had landed 5 Mahi that morning and our companion boat had one landed after 5 minutes in the afternoon. Hopes for a big game fish were high, but, luck wasn't with us this day as we didn't have a touch on any bait. It was still cool to see the presentation all working in .5 metre swells.

Trolling the swells:

After a couple of hours of trolling we switched to bottom fishing. The crew re-rigged the trolling rods for this and this was not ideal. I did grab the only partially functioning spinning reel on board and used it with some success catching a few 'ground fish' and some roundish purple fish that looked kinda like an overgrown blue gill. We were fishing a 2 hook jig in about 40' which seemed just about the same as Hastings. Honestly, the fishing was tougher this day than up north, but we landed a 1/2 dozen that the crew were anxious to keep. The other boat had a 'cuda smash one of these ground fish as it was coming in for a little extra excitement.

Catch back on shore:

Although my day of fishing wasn't much to write home about, the rest of my first trip to Mexico was great. I and my family stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum and the food, location and accommodations were top notch. 7 days of nothing but sunshine, warmth and relaxation. Now, @chefboyardee might have some better destinations on his list, but I can highly recommend the Riveria de Maya if you're considering a trip south.

My view each day from pool side:

Looking back at the resort:

Looks amazing Stomp....I'm kind of wishing I had booked my usual spring getaway at this point...

Looks great.......at least you caught something....and it was warm...(y)(y)
Did you get to taste any local fish dishes?
The blacken Grouper we had in Tampa Bay, Florida was some of the best fish I've eaten.

Last edited:
Stomp, looks really good. What resort did you stay at? Kind of looks like the Excellence.

We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe Tulum which is about 1.5hrs south of Cancun Airport. OMG @jumbos, I oversampled everything, especially fish. My son is deathly allergic to fish, so we don't eat them at home... but here... I went to town, sea bass , mahi mahi, shellfish... but the best was the traditional Mexican food... so much food! We started having early and late dinners... oink oink

It's an Air Canada Vacations destination and more than half the place was Canadian. Would go again!

Distance from the airport was the only mild negative...

Great trip report @stomp The one video of trolling is sure a lot faster than what we do here with the rolling seas.

Looks like you had a great time despite the fishing @stomp ....they troll a lot faster than we do for them slimmy critters !........apps

Looks like you had a great time despite the fishing @stomp ....they troll a lot faster than we do for them slimmy critters !........apps
Great trip report @stomp The one video of trolling is sure a lot faster than what we do here with the rolling seas.

Yes gents, it wasn't a slow troll for sure. The baits were skipping out of the water on the wave crests. No need for a kicker motor for this kind of fishing.

And @apps, 2 thumbs up for Mexico. Food, accommodations and weather all outstanding! Rest of the family went snorkelling with sea turtles that day. They got some good pictures which I'll post when I get them off my kids' phones.

hey stomp was at coba in January and yes the food was great and staff was cool we were going to try fishing but the girls won the battle next time for sure cool videos thanks Kirby

hey stomp was at coba in January and yes the food was great and staff was cool we were going to try fishing but the girls won the battle next time for sure cool videos thanks Kirby
That's cool @smokercraft 17.5 . We had a couple of meals at Coba and it was nice. We ate at the Japanese place and the buffet there. Really, for me, the buffets were better than the a la carte places, although I did really like the Brazilian BBQ place at Tulum. I'm thinking a 6 hr or longer charter might be better, maybe get out deeper.

If you go, it's a 1 hour cab ride each way from Tulum to the marina at El Cid. The transportation was only US$20, so that was pretty cheap, but it takes a good chunk of your day.

The day I went fishing, the rest of my group went snorkelling at Akumal Bay, which was pretty close to our resort. All agreed that this was even better than Hawaii if you want to swim with sea turtles. With our Air Canada package, the guide took a bunch of photos of the day and gave them to us on CD at day's end. Here's some shots:

Location shot; nice day and the turtles are close to shore!

Sea Turtle with Pilot fish swimming underneath

Turtle's view

Trunk Fish and Doctor Fish (I think I snagged a Doctor Fish on my fishing charter)

Needle Fish (a guest on my charter hooked and landed a small one)

Certainly recommend the excursion to Akumal Bay based on how much my family enjoyed it and Air Canada did a pretty nice job all around with our Mexican vacation.

Stomp great post, we have almost 30 family members heading down to the Grand Bahia Principe Coba Wednesday... Also looking at a charter for a few of the guy's that are going, hope to do as well.... And the swimming with the sea turtles and fish sounds awesome, hope all the kids don't decide to go while we try our luck at fishing...lol...
If you remember the charter please tell...... Kids are even more excited.... :)

Cheers Bic4d

That's great @Bic4d! .We booked both excursions through Best Day tours. Would recommend turtle trip ahead of fishing. If you can book restaurants at Tulum go to the Brazilian BBQ and the buffet, which we thought was a little more beach-like and maybe better. Both buffets Coba and Tulum are very good. Take Immodium just in case although we had no problems.

Charter was out of El Cid marina... jimmy riggin did much better!

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
Bring Gravol too if fishing. .. US 16$ at the resort but needed

Last edited:
Nice ...looks like a Great time JEALOUS here lol was supposed to go south but Chit happens
thanks for the wonderful pics

Amazing stuff Stomp! Ginny and I went to the Bahama's once and boy does this post make me want to go back! lol Thanks for posting hte pics and vids!

Mexico Update: Talked to my nephew over Easter. He went to the exact same resort the week before I got there and did a bunch of beach fishing there with some success. He took a telescopic rod and used hot dogs from the buffet as bait. He said security didn't take kindly to him fishing near a swimming area; not sure of the wisdom of what he did, but the kid loves to fish and he had some fun and no one died.

Anyway, interesting twist to his story. He and his spouse were travelling with another couple and they rented a jeep and drove into the nearby town, Playa Del Carmen. They passed through the same police checkpoint on a 4-lane highway as did I when I went on my fishing charter and when we travelled from and to the airport. These checkpoints are right on the main road and have speed bumps to slow all traffic down. They are manned with 6 or more police all carrying machine guns. I thought they were they looking for drug traffickers and the like and protecting tourists like me. We never had to stop. Different story for my nephew. In Mexico, the rental vehicles are easily identifiable (especially a jeep) and they are often pulled over. They were pulled over and he and his wife didn't have on their seatbelts. The cop wanted US $100 from each of the 4 of them to let them continue on their way. The driver, not my nephew, told the cop to pound salt. It got a little heated and scary with the cop threatening to take the guy's license. Eventually they settled on a US $30 bribe to let them go. So, Mexico great to visit, but maybe be careful if renting a vehicle or straying off the resort.

At my age I don't leave the rez down there. I can't get too exited anymore and can tell you those Mexican jails are no cake walk, Cuban jails are worse, the jails in Costa Rica aren't really that bad at all.

ahhh good old mexico, just keep asking for a ticket and a reciept for the money paid in a bout 20 minutes of deliberating and arguing they just get frustrated and will send you on your way . got to love latin america. tourista ala cha ching .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks