fishing injury to my wrists?

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
ya last night I was awakened with aching intense wrist pain in both my wrists and numbness in both

hands where I had to wake up and shake and shake my hands to bring back the feeling

just after 60 hours past with intense fishing fighting out hard fighting marlin & some of those mahi were a battle all in all in

less then 5 hours time...the last fish the marlin had to of did me in..

i am a left handed fisherman holding the rod with my left and cranking with my right hand..I used the belt

I bought a lefthanded wrist brace for a slight wrist injury i felt before I headed down..but then i thought my watch band was

on to tight but I think i got repetitive strain injury to my nerve in my wrist

ya I had carpal tunnel surgery on both my wrists in my early 30s, that was incredible painful surgery..

I am making a splint tonight for my right hand..actually I should make it now..

Now that i am aware of possible injury I feel I need to rest my wrists & hands from going fishing..

no aches or numbness during the day today..but feeling a bit of burning pain now..

it is said that carpal tunnel pain comes on at night..

anybody wanna fill in for me crankin..lol..Alex did last season with a couple marlin after my covid infection recovery

ya will go out and try for big double dorados..guaranteed to temporarily loose your hearing cause

there super loud when they hit the deck with blood spatter all over..what a mess..and thats what happened my next trip out

Last edited:
one other issue i just remembered I had the day after in the afternoon on the 24th is my refridgerator stopped working just suddenly ya just stopped and its full of food$$$..so the girls just moved out of there apartment next door and the cleaning lady was in there cleaning..to make a long drawn out story...I switched refridgerators..lifted and carried the next door fridge into my apartment..the cord location was A job in its self to remove and reinstall the cord through the wall with needlenose pliers ..ya switching and lifting & switching the fridges was a heavy job..there your apartment size but still awkward heavyness..by myself after my fishing day. well its either the fridge or the marlin or its both that caused possible wrist & hand injury..I am not coming home in the cold..no matter what..

I have the same issues from years of airtool use... I find if you get forearm muscles stripped by massage therapist it helps alot...

I also have a space in front of my mattress that I can dangle my arms over... The ache and tingles stop and I can go back to sleep... 😉

sorry to read that jammer its a painful condition thanks for sharing
somebody said washing down with coruna can work..

ya that was one big bad onset of intense pain to both wrists friday night..not even expecting one crazy delayed reaction..like didn`t even know there was a problem ..

ya since then thankfully its been not so bad..last night just 2 finger numbness right hand.. i am going to make a recovery to fish say in a weeks time..maybe less....I found another brace for my right hand today..I got plenty of time for my next fishing trip..I counted 8 big meals of fish still to go through..the Mahi has been really good eating..crunchy tacos & soft fajitas

I am looking ahead to days leading up to the full moon can be good bite days..I want cloud cover and ya go back and hit that spot and fish them dorados...a 6 hour charter back by the lunch hour should be plenty..
wednesdaythursday to saturday is looking like decent fishing days..26 to 28 with cloud cover..maybe a
monday stroll down to the marina tomorrow around the 1pm range..looking for boats flying there fish flags..its nice to see the numbers and the mix of species..theres also a catch n release flags flying too

Carpel tunnel syndrome is nothing to fool with. If it gets worse make sure to have a neurosurgeon repair it and not an orthopedic surgeon. My brother had his done by a neuro and had no problems. Mine was done by an ortho and he screwed up my right hand and arm for life with RSD. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy which is permanent damage to the sympathetic nerves. These are the nerves that send pain signals to your brain. Not to mention the fact he cut me from the middle of my hand to half way to my elbow while my brother had a 1/4 inch cut to his hand.

Attachments

• wrist.jpg
    wrist.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 17
Hey Mick .. I am riveted on your salt water fishing and accompanying adventures again this year. To be honest reading your posts is the highlight of my day during these 'dark months'. Sorry to hear about the wrist injury ... one thing I have learned about reading your posts is ... you have to contend with a lot more then having a beer and eating supper at the hotel. I really respect you for 'grabbing the gusto' and making this world class fishing happen for you ... and sharing ALL of the experience with us. 🦈

Firstly Thankyou @scrimmy for sharing your carpal tunnel condition and corrective surgery experiences, I am very sorry to read your messed up ortho surgeon getting your right hand surgery wrong. I am shaking my head hear indisbelief, thats just not right. I had surgery to both my wrists early 30s covered by workers compensation, Dr. Bocking a general surgeon in St. Thomas at are Elgin General did the left & right s wrist urgerys. I made a full recovery, and it was successful, Now I have nerve impingment over 30 years later, I believe the tunnels are narrow again with muscle.
yes I need to rest my wrists and let them settledown for more then the 8 days rest I had from catching to many fish..like the 6 dorados & 2 marlin..anyway I got 3 good carpal tunnel braces 2 just recently that really help wearing them at night, so I am back on recovery mode now..but hoping to fish the new moon December 23..I want santa to bring in some more marlin..

also Ice helps and advil, and physio stretches..and a good diet here is helping too..

Last edited:
Hey @Stormin Norman just catching up with ya now..thankyou for the kind words..yes sir you got it..I am a totally focosed all in fishing..I learn everytime out.. and these guys in mexico.it.s different everytime..i like mixin it up..this boat today..these guys there good ...experienced on fishing Cabo..they got 15 yellowfins monday 35 plus miles offshore..

heading out of cabo this mornin after gettin are bait..just minutes and i look and I had to step in and get the boat back on track...cause we were heading to gordo bank.. omg I almost screamed..lol...there is no way..ya wow that was close..so ya we headed around the west side and setup and bingo... we hit the motherload of big marlin.. yes triple hookups..just after a frigit bird come swooping down pickin off surface mackerel where the marlin chasing um up...ya we immediately hooked up with a thread triple header bite..

Hey thanks for tuning in Stormin Normin..much appreciated..

the day after some heavy duty marlin madness action and my wrists & fists are pretty dam good for fighting..take this down time and spend it nicely...like the weather here..highs 28 lows 21..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks