Fishing hole danger

weedliner

Trying to figure out why people need a big hole to fish in. Today fishing out of Collins Harbor I came across a hole that was big enough that a small child could fall in and drown. Easy to step into it when covered with snow .I couldn’t believe my eyes what I was seeing. Just wounding what everyone else thinks about it. Also people don’t leave your coffee cups in the parking lot. These people run a good business there and let’s not screw it up.

15 - 20 Years ago there was an operator in that area
That had a center trough in there huts

Holes were about 2' x4' and cut with a chainsaw

When they moved huts they would just stick a tree branch in the snow ...which sometimes fell over . I can close too driving my atv on a couple occasions into those open holes .

I'm guessing someone might have a hut like that , with large opening in floor.

Very dangerous

Trying to figure out why people need a big hole to fish in. Today fishing out of Collins Harbor I came across a hole that was big enough that a small child could fall in and drown. Easy to step into it when covered with snow .I couldn’t believe my eyes what I was seeing. Just wounding what everyone else thinks about it. Also people don’t leave your coffee cups in the parking lot. These people run a good business there and let’s not screw it up.
Hard core troller.

The old Howe Brothers Ice huts had a center hole and some of the original Ackers if memory services me correct. They were great to fish out off. They used to put old Xmas tress in the hole when moved. My friends dad used to drive us along the ice in his 4 door LTD having a sip and dodging the holes.

YouTube. Everyone is a film maker these days. That said plenty of the Simcoe operators use the big holes, but they generally mark them in a big way when they move huts! Anyway, unless your a hut operator who is going to mark them properly when moving, there is no need for those big holes!

Simple math… >8’ of water+ rubber boots - 1 life jacket = certain death!

Not that it would be easy to figure out but if you cut a whole that big and leave it unmarked if someone fell in and died the person who created the whole can be charged

That's quite the auger

Large holes are nice .. when water is clear and you can see the fish ...I used to over lap 5 or 6 holes to make a trough ....so could site fish for perch.. able to pull jig away from the dinks and try and drop infront of the jumbo....was allot of fun.

I have also fished from permanent huts that had 2x4' holes for pike and walleye ....nice thing was you used a net to land your larger fish .. without issue of getting hook caught on ice or loosing fish at hole.
Dropped more stuff in the larger holes ...and had to be careful not to fall in .

We always shoveled a mound of snow and planted a stick with flagging tape ...after moving hut .

But I have almost driven my atv in one of those large holes on lpb that someone didn't mark.

Ice fishing Lk Simcoe with a buddy years ago in his shack...the hole was 4' long 2.5' wide for whitefish and big lakers. He fell in..it was messy. They also apparently lost a chainsaw...
Ouch tough time
Reason enough to keep the hole size to a minimum in my opinion.

At some point a kid or an adult will go in and there will be a regulation created. Double hole is pushing it.

Simple math… >8’ of water+ rubber boots - 1 life jacket = certain death!

That's quite the stretch. Someone who can't swim should most definitely wear a PFD on the ice?

You can't drive into a large hole if you're driving according to the conditions. Can't see well? You're driving too fast. Fresh snow? Best walk instead of driving.

Your kids won't fall into a hole if you're leading and they're behind you and inspect your fishing area, as it should ALWAYS be with kids on the ice.

After 30+ years and hundreds of trips on the ice, common sense has kept me from taking a polar dip?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks