Off Topic Fishing Grand River above Caledonia dam?

Todsquad

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hoping to take my ol' man out for a Saturday morning fish along the Grand River near Caledonia. Thinking of launching at Harrison landing as it's the closest to his home.

I haven't boated/fished above the dam in some time and was wondering if anyone has had much success along that stretch? Any species this time of year that bite better?

My thought is that catfish/carp would be easiest...any other species?

I fished last weekend from chiefswood upstream and was after the rain so visiblility was a lot lower than normal. We got 1 Wally and 3 catfish trolling bottom bouncer worm harness and Wally diver like discussed in other posts

I fished last weekend from chiefswood upstream and was after the rain so visiblility was a lot lower than normal. We got 1 Wally and 3 catfish trolling bottom bouncer worm harness and Wally diver like discussed in other posts
do you mind share where you launched your boat/kayak? I can't find 'other posts' you mentioned.

If you launch at Harrison landing go down to river and start fishing near hiway6 bypass bridge. 1/4mile up or down river from it on either side of river not so much in middle. Or go up river till you get Big creek and start fishing that area around the mouth of that creek. If your trolling the river try around by pass bridge or go up river, start trolling about 1/4 before big creek on the creek side of the river. Once you passed big creek a little bit shift over to the other side of river. Don't get to close to shore as it gets rather shallow in spots but it's gravel bottom so always good some game fish. troll or cast at that shore line for the next mile. If you get to chiefswood bridge it can be seller casting or trolling for bass and walleye from 1/2mile down river up to the bridge. Lots structure. Bottom turns from mud/clay to rock & gravel. If you go passed the bridge it drops down deep for a good 1/2mile then comes back up to around 6ft.
. Good trolling through there as well. Walley divers. Flicker shads. 1/2 -1oz Bottom bouncer with worm harness.
If your casting, a #3or 4 silver bluefox spinner can't be beat for all game fish in the river. Good old white jig on 1/4-3/8oz head cast retrieve always gets hit. Drag a tube jig on bottom over gravel for bass.
If your live bait fishing(minnow or worms)a 3way rig with 3/8-1/2oz sinker will get what ever is in the area you set up in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks