Fishing for Walleye techniques

smokerman

I have not fished for Walleye for about 10 yrs. Reading a lot of the post's it seems like downriggers don't work as well as they once did. Any info would be great as I want to partake this year and catch some of these sweet tasting fish.

Thanks,

Smokerman;
:)When I go out I listen to the board here and get a general idea of where to go. When there, the fish finder should show hooks. It"s nice to have a temp. read of the colunm of water also. lately the fish have been up high because the water is too cold down deeper.It"s my thought that the wally &bows like the 55 to 65 degrees.
I"v had good luck with riggers on the bottom or midway with a very long lead, check your riggers often because the gripper setting might be to hard for a lite bite wally. The rainbow really tear into the bait/lure, whereas the wally hit lightly. I"v had good luck with fairly high speed troll, like 21/2 to 3 mph going against the current. This time of year when the bows are arround it pays to put on a slider line or "cheater" on the riggers. The dipsy is one of the best fishing tools that I have...
Hope this helps..Larry:)

Thanks for the info. How far of a lead do you run behind your riggers?? Also, do you flat line with lead core or do you hook them to the riggers? I have counters on all my reels and have braid,leadcore and mono on my rods.

Smokerman;
I have never used leadcore,only dipsys. I like to put out 75-125 ft. on the riggers. Running braid on the dipsys. Don"t forget toallow for blowback on the riggers especially if your using light, or round rigger balls....Hope this helps....Larry

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks