Fish Species in Catfish Creek?

Luke Warmwater

Just wondering what types of fish are in Catfish Creek and at what times of the year. Do Salmon and Trout run the river? Are there Walleyes in there all year? Largemouth and Smallmouth bass?

Thank you

I've personally seen trout, smallmouth. gar pike and all kinds of coarse fish comme out of that creek

Salmon ( very few anymore) and trout do run the river, but the season closes on the catfish I think the end of sept. Never ever heard of a walleye in the catfish and there are some bass throughout the system. The fish the river is named for are in the lower part and have been known to be large. There are trout to be caught in the spring for the angler who is willing to fish hard and ask permission as it's all private landowners. Hope this answers your question!

I've seen all of the above in Catfish. This past spring, I saw a northern pike (that looked pretty banged up) in the creek. It's the first northern I've seen in this creek and I've fished it all my life. I second Bruce's comment on the cats. There are some biguns in there - in spring.

WR

Where is Catfish creek?

Out my way in Haldimand you may pass over a dozen tribs to get the morning paper, but none are named on the bridges etc. The main creek flowing into Erie through Selkirk is named Stoney Creek, I just found that out a few months back, everyone calls it Selkirk Creek. It's a good perch spot by the way after ice out. Smelts by the pale years ago, not today.

Largemouth, witnessed by me, (good one too!) and a muskie reported from the bank in the spring were both firsts for me this year.
Read somewhere that decades ago, sauger frequented Catfish as a spawning trib.
Cats, carp, smallouth, rainbows, salmon, suckers, chub, shad, hordae, dace, that's about all I can think that I've caught there. Cats, carp and the little guys are your most common catches and the only thing really worth pursuing, except for some rainbows from time to time.
If you hit the upper regions surrounded by farmland, you may see the elusive Turd Fish swim by in massive schools, as it seems that cattle wading into the creek have an uncanny ability to put these fish on the move...

Largemouth, witnessed by me, (good one too!) and a muskie reported from the bank in the spring were both firsts for me this year.
Read somewhere that decades ago, sauger frequented Catfish as a spawning trib.
Cats, carp, smallouth, rainbows, salmon, suckers, chub, shad, hordae, dace, that's about all I can think that I've caught there. Cats, carp and the little guys are your most common catches and the only thing really worth pursuing, except for some rainbows from time to time.
If you hit the upper regions surrounded by farmland, you may see the elusive Turd Fish swim by in massive schools, as it seems that cattle wading into the creek have an uncanny ability to put these fish on the move...

What do you recommend for the Turd fish? I'm always looking to add another species to the "caught" list :D

Man I love that shitty little creek. One of my first memories is with dad, trying to catch spawning carp with no luck, only to return with a .22 and eventually shooting one. Not the proudest moment of my outdoor pursuit looking back LOL. He attempted to smoke it, (yuck) but went to work and mom didn't check it and it burned up pretty bad. We moved from that house, only to return to the same creek few miles down a couple of years later, where I would spend the next twenty years of my life. I knew it like the back of my hand from Aylmer to Springfield Road. I could tell you where the carp would be depending on the time of day in that stretch for a good chunk of my early teens. Caught some on measly gear that topped 20lbs. In the spring, the chubs are like a poor mans trout to a kid. They are much bigger and get a pinkish hue. Then one day it happened, I saw a trout stuck in a culvert after a flood! It was probably pushing 10 pounds and it was the first one I'd seen. Never pursuing them, I only ever caught one by accident in that stretch, but happened upon big schools the odd year. I fly fished it, which is tough in a small creek, but having a bruising carp slurp a fly on a 6 weight rod made for many impromptu chases down the middle of the stream just to keep my hard earned cash from spooling off my reel. When I got older, I started driving to the lower end south of Aylmer where run ins with trout and smallmouth were more common. The best memories are of chasing suckers in the spring as kids, trying to catch them with bare hands. I don't know that we ever did get one. Later on, I stalked one of the most stubborn Toms I've ever hunted through that stretch over the course of a few weeks. He would hang up on this little island surrounded by swamp, and despite my best efforts, never got within bow range. Last year I started chasing cats in Pt Bruce from my kayak, landing lots and really challenging my skills. Boating a 15lb cat across your lap is an exercise in manliness, not for the feint of heart. I hope that as farmers become more vigilant about respecting laws with regards to watering cattle in streams, and some of the riffle/run conservation efforts take hold around here that the stream can regain some modicum of health. It will never be much more than a muddy creek, but man it has been some fun.

Bucketsoff,
I very much enjoyed reading about your childhood memories of a small creek. It brought back my own memories when I lived on a farm near Norwich, on the banks of Clear Creek, which is on the northern end of the Big Otter trib system. We had a creek that I hunted and fished from the time I was 10-16. We caught everything in that creek back in the 80's.....from perch, sunfish, chubs, and carp, all the way to bows and browns. It was such a wonderful childhood, fishing that creek and finding all the li'l holes throughout. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bucketsoff. You brought back memories of the little creeks around Brantford/Princeton and Whitemans Creek where I spent many wonderful hours.

Great memories for you @Bucketsoff. I remember my Dad took me fishing once when I was around 11. It was smelts with a net but it was fishing after all.

I can remember it like yesterday. Wind and rain blowing off the lake at the Burlington Skyway, Dad says " here boy you getta to hold a da light, shine um righta dere lika dis", " quit shaken dat light, shinem der, non chew move em!", " for golly sake boy give a me da light, you stink at fishing, Santino hand me that jug of wine".

The more wine my uncles and he drank the better English they spoke.

Memories........

Merry Christmas all.

Great story Bucketsoff, if you happen to see a "mango" Nucanoe next spring that will be me. I'm in Simcoe but I try and make a few trips to Catfish each spring to chase those big cats, I like trying to be a "manly" fisherman also! TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks