Off Topic Fish Batter

Richardscott999

So I am normally a coat in Fish Crisp and fry it in a little butter kinda guy but......... Having kids spouses and grandkids over for a fish fry and with 18 people to feed I gotta move it along. I want to deep fry in a nice light batter but am without a recipe. Who knows how to cook walleye better than a bunch of fishermen so...... Any good recipes out there. Help. Ps best oil to use?

Thanks Rick

I crush up crackers real fine and add corn flake crumbs and flour and spice to liking mix all together makes a real thin coating put some in a large baggie shake damp not fillets in works good for us

So I am normally a coat in Fish Crisp and fry it in a little butter kinda guy but......... Having kids spouses and grandkids over for a fish fry and with 18 people to feed I gotta move it along. I want to deep fry in a nice light batter but am without a recipe. Who knows how to cook walleye better than a bunch of fishermen so...... Any good recipes out there. Help. Ps best oil to use?

Thanks Rick
Take 2 boxs of stove top stuffing put in a good blender and turn to a powder put it a large baggie fill with fish shake and deepfry and injoy

club house beer batter is very good, mix with club soda..ive become a big fan of canadian fisherman coating/batter..i jist dip fish in club soda, and coat, but let it sit for a few minutes bfore frying...or just wrap fillets in bacon marinate in oil based salad dressing and bbq..

What about dipping fillets in milk or egg mixture? It is usually mentioned as an important step but when I do it before dipping them into Fish Crisp I always seem to get a heck of a mess.

I used to dip in egg but find if the are just a bit damp from bein in water it works just as well

As a former professional chef, this is the one I use all the time for battering fish, chicken, shrimp, or pretty much anything. You buy the ingredients (if you don't already have them in your pantry) and you make it yourself, none of this store bought just add water stuff.

3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water

Step 1
Mix the dry ingredients together.

Step 2
Add water and stir to combine.

Step 3
This is a thick batter.

Step 4
Coat fish fillets completely.

Step 5
Deep fry until golden brown.

Along with any seasonings you wish, Stir 3/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of water until smooth. Use immediately.

***You can sub the water for beer***

Double or triple the recipe depending on how much you intend to cook. I personally just use Canola oil. Make sure it's good and hot.

I season the flour I dredge the fish in as well as the fish itself so that those flavors are locked in when I put it into the batter then into the oil. Season according to your tastes. I sometimes will marinate the fish in a Mesquite Rub and then into the batter then fryer. When you're putting the battered fish in the oil, hold the thinner end of the fillet while you slowly lower the thicker end into the oil and slowly move it back and forth until that thicker end floats, then gently release the rest into the oil.....as soon as the thinner end floats, flip it over.....for another minute or so, then take the fillet out and put it on a drip tray letting any excess oil drip off. (THE FISH IS NOT DONE YET. Since you're doing a large batch, you've just blanched it, but by taking it out and allowing it to rest while you blanche the rest, it crisps up very nicely when you put it back into the oil to finish which only takes a couple more minutes on each side.)

Last edited by a moderator:
We use fish crisp. Dont mix it. Juat put the powder in a bowl and dip the dry fillits in and straight to the fryer. No beer, soda or water. Just fish crisp, works great about two bags to feed 30 people

Personally I don't care for a batter, too heavy for me, the family however........

Many times I'll just fry in butter and a touch of oil.

I prefer a good layer of dusting and then deep fried in Canola Oil.

My current recipe is a mixture of Rocky Madsen's Cajun and Original 1 for 2 and some celery salt. (@misty river)

Depending on how much I'm cooking, a few tablespoons into a plastic lidded container. Shake the crap out of it to cover everything, shake off excess and fry to the correct colour.

I crack a touch of salt (grinder) on the fish when it comes out of the fryer.

I use the same mix on my dill pickles, but no salt after frying.

@scoop put up an oven recipe for bacon wrapped walleye... It is very good if you would rather not fry.

I upped the temp by 25 degrees on convection and liked the results even more.

So if you want to cook a lot of fish fast and yummy, try this.
Preheat your oven on Broil high, with the rack on the middle to upper middle position
for 2 average size eyes, take a 1/2 stick of butter with what ever seasoning you like, melt it in a bowl in the microwave
dip your fish (cut into manageable sizes) into the seasoned butter and then into a small tub of Panko, I like to season the Panko as well.
Butter a cookie sheet
Put fish on sheet, and into the oven for 4 minutes, then out and flip, back in for 4 minutes... adjust a bit longer if you have thick fillets.

salt

serve... no mess awesome light crunchy eyes.

I have been deep frying perch and pickerel for 40 years and have tried a number of methods, and still do.
Always use canola oil heated to 300 to 350 degrees depending on how easy the coating will burn.
For a large crowd I have found the best way is to use a batter. It keeps prep time down and can be prepared ahead of time. For a smaller group I like to experiment.
Add water to a bowl. You can use all sorts of fluids but water will do just fine.
Mix in Aunt Jemima original pancake mix.
Add some Mrs Dash or lemon pepper, some salt and pepper and some herbs de provence if you have it.
Stir until smooth, let it sit for 5/10 mins and stir again. Do that twice.
Add the fillets to the mix and let it sit for 1- 2 hours if you have the time or put in the fridge overnight.
The extra stirring gets the air bubbles out of batter so the cooked coating is thin rather than all puffy like you get at some restaurants. Keep the batter quite thin-just enough to coat the fillets as they go into the oil.
This replicates the same commercial batter used at the Port Bruce Fish Fry last weekend and at the Thunder In the Valley concert a couple weeks ago. The fillets take 3 to 4 minutes to cook. Watch for a golden brown colour. If they are floating without many bubbles take them out as they burn easily.
As I said, it's fast and easy and I get rave reviews about the taste. We are having a neighbourhood fish fry tonight and I already have the fillets ready drop in the oil. Keep the batter thin. Good Eating.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks