Fish-a-Thon for a Cure 2015!!!

It was tough day no doubt. My boater and I were at the ramp at 530am to try and get the big girls to open up before bluebird skies shut them down for the day. There was one wrench in that plan though - overnight cold front! It was down right chilly first thing, with the typical sunrise topwater bite non existent. So we cut for the junk, only to find that weed growth was more sparse than in years past in the back 40, likely due to cold water conditions and increasingly clear water in Deer Creek. I pulled up a stick with loaded with small mussels yesterday, I would hazard a guess at zebras. This is the first time I have noticed them...sad. First Gobies now this.
We boated about 20 LM, with two 16.25 inch twins that fell 1/4" short of Big Bass. Tough conditions aside, it was a fun day, looked like the kids were having a blast and from the numbers present I bet some good money was raised for Cancer Research. I had to leave for a Bday shindig and didn't hear the final weigh in or total donations, but it seemed to be a success. All of the volunteers were very busy, and Ryan did a great job again! Next year, we are going to volunteer our time at the pavilion instead of on the water if they'll have us!

Hey guys!

I'm still trying to play catch up from the weekend but wanted to drop a quick message regarding the totals. Thanks to the amazing work and generosity of everyone involved, we raised a little over $15,000 on Saturday which bought our 7 year total to just over $70,000 raised for the cause. Considering our event was very small the first couple of years this is a huge deal!

As for the fishing, as Bucketsoff said, the cold front really slowed things down. He easily had the win until the very last minute when our big bass winner showed up with her catch that was just shy of 17". Just goes to show how tough the bite was considering most fish measured in were barely over 12" and our big bass is usually 22" or more. Big fish of any species was a 29" carp caught by rich Sims and we also had a grand slam winner as well who won with only 3 of the 5 species on the list. On Sunday, after the fish had a chance to get over the shell shock of the cold front, the bite was a little better. My kids hammered on the bluegill and perch and my oldest hooked herself a nice largemouth which she lost boat side. ( all on live bait )

All in all it was a great weekend, with great friends and a ton of support from our sponsors!

Thank you all from from the bottom of my heart!

I'll get some photos up once I'm able to regroup a little more.

Cheers,
ryan

It was tough day no doubt. My boater and I were at the ramp at 530am to try and get the big girls to open up before bluebird skies shut them down for the day. There was one wrench in that plan though - overnight cold front! It was down right chilly first thing, with the typical sunrise topwater bite non existent. So we cut for the junk, only to find that weed growth was more sparse than in years past in the back 40, likely due to cold water conditions and increasingly clear water in Deer Creek. I pulled up a stick with loaded with small mussels yesterday, I would hazard a guess at zebras. This is the first time I have noticed them...sad. First Gobies now this.
We boated about 20 LM, with two 16.25 inch twins that fell 1/4" short of Big Bass. Tough conditions aside, it was a fun day, looked like the kids were having a blast and from the numbers present I bet some good money was raised for Cancer Research. I had to leave for a Bday shindig and didn't hear the final weigh in or total donations, but it seemed to be a success. All of the volunteers were very busy, and Ryan did a great job again! Next year, we are going to volunteer our time at the pavilion instead of on the water if they'll have us!

Hey brother,

Those muscles have been in there for at least 10 years. ( as long as I've been filming underwater footage in the lake ) But they've certainly exploded in numbers lately. They literally attach to everything. I've seen big snails with a half dozen of them hitch hiking on the snails back.

We have a couple of prize packs here for you guys so we'll have to connect soon!

Thanks again for everything man.

Cheers,
ryan

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks