First go at Jerky on the smoker

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
I've been looking through a bunch of recipes for Beef Jerky on the smoker and they call for several cuts of meats and different marinades. I've landed on a Sirloin Tip Roast (on sale at Valu-Mart for 3.99) and a marinade using elements from several recipes and it's going to include soy sauce, pineapple juice, brown sugar, honey, garlic and ginger. Going to marinate it (after I've sliced it) for 24 hours then hand it over to @stomp to smoke it. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I tried it in the smoker and in the air fryer. I liked the air fryer better - not that smoker meat wasn't tasty, but the air fryer seemed to dehydrate it better. Inside round and sirloin tip both seemed good lean choices. I am however limited to doing it when the other half isn't home - apparently the smoky scent the pervades the whole house isn't appreciated by all to the same degree. Who knew🤷‍♂️

Good luck! I tried it in the smoker and in the air fryer. I liked the air fryer better - not that smoker meat wasn't tasty, but the air fryer seemed to dehydrate it better. Inside round and sirloin tip both seemed good lean choices. I am however limited to doing it when the other half isn't home - apparently the smoky scent the pervades the whole house isn't appreciated by all to the same degree. Who knew🤷‍♂️
I can relate to house smells - got the whole house smelling like garlic today... tomorrow it will be smelling like curry. May need to light some candles but at least the dinner will be tasty :giggle: I'm new to air frying too and tried to dry apple slices but they were disastrous - edible but not dried.

I can relate to house smells - got the whole house smelling like garlic today... tomorrow it will be smelling like curry. May need to light some candles but at least the dinner will be tasty :giggle: I'm new to air frying too and tried to dry apple slices but they were disastrous - edible but not dried.
Breaded broccoli is awesome.. even the folks in the house who won't touch it usually gobbled it up. Also makes excellent calamari

I think the teriyaki beef jerky turned out pretty well. Sweet and Smokey and more dry than the Kirkland offering. I need more samples to give a proper opinion.
View attachment 57505

View attachment 57506
My 2cents on the result: I'm not a huge fan of beef jerky overall, but I liked the home smoked version better than store bought. I think @stomp did a nice job on the grill resulting in a texture that was not as tough as some I've bought in the past. I like the idea of being able to control the salt and sugar via marinade ingredients. This marinade was sweet and not salty (actually IMO not salty enough and I rarely say that) and didn't have enough of a hot kick for @stomp. This is definitely a do-again project with some modifications on the marinade.

I put the smaller pieces that might slip through the grates on the top shelf of the Traeger in a BBQ basket and arranged most of the bigger pieces spaced evenly on the lower rack. I smoked at 165 degrees with "super smoke" mode enabled and took the smaller pieces off around 4 1/4 hrs and the rest sometime around 5 hours. Very unique taste and good!

Breaded broccoli is awesome.. even the folks in the house who won't touch it usually gobbled it up. Also makes excellent calamari
@spincast I tried breaded broccoli in the air fryer tonight and got some feedback... "Best Broccoli ever". It was very lightly breaded, primarily because the coating wouldn't stick and I served with a bit of mayo/sourcream/Frank's dip. Thanks for the idea!
Air Fryer breaded broccoli.jpg

@spincast I tried breaded broccoli in the air fryer tonight and got some feedback... "Best Broccoli ever". It was very lightly breaded, primarily because the coating wouldn't stick and I served with a bit of mayo/sourcream/Frank's dip. Thanks for the idea!
View attachment 57514
Looks delish, love the dipping sauce. I dip in egg, then panko. For some fun, add a few shakes of cayenne

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks