fishin trips jan 22,28 & feb 1st 2019

@mick... Hey you really do fit in there... for a moment I thought that was a father-son photo. LOL! ;):LOL:
Good luck fishing. (y)
You may have to get your GF to translate the next part... De acuerdo con usted acerca de los grandes hispanos de América Central y del Sur. Amo a los cubanos por las mismas razones, siempre sonriendo, muy amable y siempre sé cómo ser un buen amigo para los canadienses. :giggle:

:eek:
@mick... Hey you really do fit in there... for a moment I thought that was a father-son photo. LOL! ;):LOL:
Good luck fishing. (y)
You may have to get your GF to translate the next part... De acuerdo con usted acerca de los grandes hispanos de América Central y del Sur. Amo a los cubanos por las mismas razones, siempre sonriendo, muy amable y siempre sé cómo ser un buen amigo para los canadienses. :giggle:
I had one like that-----wheels fell off:ROFLMAO:

Thanks @Wave Runner for that...but i have to say my blood is right from europe..so your not even close..
And yes i got my gf to translate your message last night and i totally agree..and just to add.. with my traveling overseas experiences canadians are well respected...and thats way before & after the euro currency...now Moscow Russia not so much especially after the berlin wall was forced down...

cubans are also known for there good sense of humour.. i met a few jokester cubans in Miami and other parts of florida years ago..I also took a 2 week xmas vacation to varadero cuba many years ago..spent some time in Havana...the american classics cars there were kool..
it was december & the fishin was slow with unseasonable cool weather...so i took a small plane from little varadero airport an hour straight south to a little island called cayo largo (owned by cuba) and stayed 3 nights at the pelican..now that island & beach was paradise..theres to much say...but I was able to hook up with a good fisherman with a boat when i got to the marina...anyway the fishin was very good...tarpon, grouper, snook, jacks.. and bonefish that I didn't bother flyfishin..the big tarpon were hard to get a take..now that was a fun trip..
hey @Wave Runner don't you like it when you find a place you really like and you get comfortable with the locals and you make a friend or 2..ya when it feels that good you think about going back..I am gettin the feelin again about here..lol

Last edited:
another big fishin trip..left the pier at 4:20 am...we headed out WNW out to isla de plata (poormans galapogos island) with overcast skys & a good ocean roll ..we then headed north for several miles & setup after a light rain...all we seen were several small commercial fishin boats...so working are way west and then back south...we covered alot of water & miles and didn't see nothin from the top deck all mornin..as we ended up in the same area we fished monday...so we decided to pull the rods and go & troll rapalas...leavin the marlin baits on standby..

heres the action...at full throttle we spot our first marlin ontop..we stop and quickly setup the rods & outriggers and work him over good...not interested ..we troll and we see another one...went circled around him once & he dives...short while later we see another one...worked him over real good..and nothin...so we carry on trollin and a bit later.. again we spot another one and finally we get a text book chase...and the marlin hits the inside dorado bait...#1 mate Alex grabs it and hes off ..2 seconds later the same marlin is chasing the outside marlin bait and we get a fast & hard outrigger release...Alex was on it so fast too.. rod bent over and 4 seconds later he is off...ya a nice blue marlin approx. 200lbs.. ya gf was filming and we got a short video/audio of that action...anyway we covered that area well and pick up a dorado i hooked.. perfect size for gf.. so she cranked that one in.. anyway we carry on and spot a big black marlin jumping & jumping right out of water...incredible visual..we were there within a couple minutes...worked the area over & over nothin...well that sums up the days marlin action...

ok so we pull the lines at 3:30 and head NNE for almost an hour and setup the XXL rapalas..its started off slow..then we pickup a small amberjack..we carry on and finally get a good bite like a grouper.. ends up to be a plumero (same family)...nice one too..so we carry on and get a bigger bite...and I grabbed this one fast..it fought really good from approximently 20 metres deep...Capt charlie gaffs the jaw bone & lifts & lands my 20 kilo grouper...the crew is absoulutely ecstatic... she got that on video too..
so that was a great way to end the day on another gorgous sunset...on the long trip in charlie filleted the fish and I did the fillet rinsing...we finally made it back to the pier at 8:15 pm...
we definately made friends this day with Charlie and his 2 sons Alex & Fabin on the boat...His wife Rosieta (the boats name) helps run the family business..she is wonderful..were definately coming back..
now that I have specific info on puerto lopez .. and its just a matter of contacting for reports & when..to much to say here..so anyway..
we took the 2 plumero fillets and a 1/4 fillet of the grouper to take down to the local restaurant for tonights fish dinner..
my gf is juggling photos & videos on our samsung phones today...I will try back later & post the videos..if ya want..
enjoy the ice fishing..

Last edited:
another big fishin trip..left the pier at 4:20 am...we headed out WNW out to isla de plata (poormans galapogos island) with overcast skys & a good ocean roll ..we then headed north for several miles & setup after a light rain...all we seen were several small commercial fishin boats...so working are way west and then back south...we covered alot of water & miles and didn't see nothin from the top deck all mornin..as we ended up in the same area we fished monday...so we decided to pull the rods and go & troll rapalas...leavin the marlin baits on standby..

heres the action...at full throttle we spot our first marlin ontop..we stop setup rods & outriggers fast and work him over good...not interested ..we troll and we seen another one...went around him once & he dives...short while later we see another one...worked him over real good..and nothin...so we carry on trollin and a bit later.. again we spot another one and finally we get a text book chase...and the marlin hits the inside dorado bait...#1 mate Alex grabs it and hes off ..2 seconds later the same marlin is chasing the outside marlin bait and we get a fast & hard outrigger release...Alex was on it so fast too.. rod bent over and 4 seconds later he is off...ya a nice blue marlin approx. 200lbs.. ya gf was filming and we got a short video/audio of that action...anyway we covered that area well and pickuped a dorado i hooked.. perfect size for gf.. so she cranked that one in.. anyway we carry on and spot a big black marlin jumping & jumping right out of water...incredible visual..we were there within a couple minutes...worked the area over & over nothin...well that sums up the days marlin action...

ok so we pull the lines at 3:30 and head NNE for almost an hour and setup the XXL rapalas..its started off slow..then we pickup a small amberjack..we carry on and finally get a good bite like a grouper.. ends up to be a plumero (same family)...nice one too..so we carry on and get a bigger bite...and I grabbed the this one fought really good from approximently 20 metres deep...Capt charlie gaffs the jaw bone & lifts & lands my 20 kilo grouper...the crew is absoulutely ecstatic... she got that on video too..
so that was a great way to end the day on another gorgous sunset...on the long trip in charlie filleted the fish and I did the fillet rinsing...we finally made it back to the pier at 8:15 pm...
we definately made friends this day with Charlie and his 2 sons Alex & Fabin on the boat...His wife Rosieta (the boats name) helps run the family business..she is wonderful..were definately coming back
now that I have been given specific info on puerto lopez .. and its just a matter of contacting for reports & when..to much to say here..so anyway..
we took the 2 plumero fillets and a 1/4 fillet of the grouper to take down to the restaurant for tonights fish dinner..
my gf is juggling photos & videos on our samsung phones today...I will try back later & post the videos..if ya want..
enjoy the ice fishing..
Sounds awesome @mick enjoyed the read ! Look forward to your vids & pics ?

just to share a little action..

Attachments

• 1 marlin 2 baits chase strike & off.mp4
    9.7 MB
2 different videos loaded above ...if you want.. double click video to full screen..you might also want to turn the volume down too..lol...maybe @stomp can chime in here for direction in what format for loading short videos on 68 .its our experience with cell phones shorter videos transfer much easier...
heres a couple decent pics...i have more short videos to share later..to long to load..

12357 12358 12359

Last edited:
a copy & paste statement..

Blue Marlin. Considered the Holy Grail catch to most anglers, the blue marlin is one of the hardest fish to catch. Found in warm and tropical ocean waters, the marlin is not only a challenge to hook, but a serious contender when it comes to reeling him in.

yes the blue marlin have such hard mouths to get solid hooksets...its my experience having success using live mackeral casting to the marlin and thus swallowing the bait (cabo san lucas)....also trolling natural ballyhoo has been another sure fire method catching & landing marlin, sailfish & dorado both on the pacific & carribean..

ya we made it back home to colombia tuesday without a scratch...well just one slight earth quake in guayquil that shook our hotel room good on the 5th floor...that was a wow moment.
lookin at takin another fun fishin trip for march...somewhere in central america...pacific side..
ya I turn 60 next month...so i think it should be celebrated doin something fun & enjoyable...

Last edited:
if your thinkin about squeezing in a fishin trip and your on a budget...Punta Cana DR has pretty good fishin...only out a few miles out theres a big drop off...I paid $70 U.S. sharing morning charters on a nice boat...
I was there January 2015 for 3 weeks..heres a couple fish pics..

12449 12450 1245112452

others with a wahoo & a white marlin caught on high tide..

if your thinkin about squeezing in a fishin trip and your on a budget...Punta Cana DR has pretty good fishin...only out a few miles out theres a big drop off...I paid $70 U.S. sharing morning charters on a nice boat...
I was there January 2015 for 3 weeks..heres a couple fish pics..

View attachment 12449View attachment 12450View attachment 12451View attachment 12452

others with a wahoo & a white marlin caught on high tide..

View attachment 12453View attachment 12454
As always mick top notch reports

after looking closely at excellent fishin oppurtunitys off panama & guatamala... we just had to book our airfare to liberia costa rica...I will be arriving there february 28th...gf will meet up with me March 07...and were stayin till March 21st..I will be bill fishing off the NW pacific coast...tamarindo & flamingo area..for a short distance from the airport and to get to the fish..30 to 45 minutes or less...fishin oppurtunity is very good...and the price is right..

If there is a fun & serious fisherman that wants to join me on the same boat..or on your own...you can get a direct flight from toronto..its not complicated..all you need is a passport, some patience & strength & a positive attitude..send me a pm..its going to be good...

Thanks @Toad for the compliment! and the rest of you guys reading & liking my fishing trips thread...
well just to update our upcoming costa rica fishin trip.. after looking at the northern pacific coast carefully with the focus on catching fish..we have decided on heading further south to Samara...which is a small pacific fishing village on a calm water bay with typical inshore coral reefs...again my focos is offshore billfishin.. we have a nice quiet beach front hotel booked...and a few good choices already for the 20 - 30 mile trips offshore to reach the billfish..
I learn something new again...ya costa rica customs wants to see my yellow fever vaccine certificate arriving from colombia...I am 59 years old ...when I turn 60 you don't need one to enter...the good thing is I can get the injection for free and its only a 10 minute walk from our condo..
hows that ice fishin going?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks