Off Topic First Attempt..

Reel Therapy

Thought I would do something a bit different this year with one of my deer racks. I have wanted to give it a try for a while but finally found the proper way to do it.

I have never done a European mount but may do some more in the future.

Mount 1.jpgmount 2.jpg

Looks great, nice work,,
May I ask your recipe for cleaning the skull?

I wrap the skull in a garbage bag, with as much meat and skin removed as easily possible.
Leave it out in the sun for a few weeks and let the maggots eat off almost everything, then pressure wash.

Also wondering if you put anything on the rack to keep the brown patina?

@Firearm whole process done in one day, boil scull in borax and a squirt of dish soap for 2 hours after removing as much meat as possible. You can pull off meat once cooked, I did both pull off and pressure wash. Boil again for 1 hour. Key is only a simmer boil not to soften the bones to much. Once done you use 40 Peroxide hair cream, leave it on for 2 hours wrapped in cellophane wrap then rinse off and dry. Once dry use super glue on the seams.
I have attached the video link I used, very good and informative.

Thanks muchly, Ive done the cooking method in the past, didn't have instructions and the skulls eventually fell apart,, Must have over cooked em.. and didn't use super glue....

Looks good and quick. I usually take my skulls bury them in the ground, cover horns with a dark tote and around August pull them out and pressure spray off. Then paint skull white and done, nice little project lol. But not quick. Amazing what bugs can do.

Nice work Davin..have you done any bear skulls..there a nice addition to your trophys
ya i have a couple 8 point european mounts
hey did Mandy shoot that nice buck..

theres my last owen sound king salmon on the left..2 of the biggest 10 fish 2 man limit..
ya next spring I am switching gears and hoping to chase huron spring salmon & trout
my heart is broken not able to fish marlin & dorados right now and stay in south america..

Last edited:
Nice work Davin..have you done any bear skulls..there a nice addition to your trophys
ya i have a couple 8 point european mounts
hey did Mandy shoot that nice buck..

theres my last owen sound king salmon on the left..2 of the biggest 10 fish 2 man limit..
ya next spring I am switching gears and hoping to chase huron spring salmon & trout
my heart is broken not able to fish marlin & dorados right now and stay in south america..
Hey @mick I have not done a bear scull as of yet but will try one hopefully next year. Maddy didn't end up with a deer during rifle season, the did miss one.... Hopefully next week for the BP she will be able to get one. Sorry to hear about not being able to head south for your annual trip this year.
Let's try and get out in Owen Sound together next spring!

RT

I usually do a couple every year. I've tried various methods but boil and pressure wash is the fastest. I usually leave them in soapy water for a week or two, which will loosen up the last of the flesh and pull some of the grease from the bone. The water will stink eventually to let you know that you didn't get all the flesh off and the bacteria are working away finishing the job.

I use white glue to hold any teeth that fall out or the nasal bones if they fall off, but this guy didn't get any glue. If they fall apart chances are bleach was used, which eats the bone over time. Peroxide is the way to go to whiten but this year I left them natural, we will see how they look.
20201107_065916.jpg
20201028_162013.jpg

good luck Davin and Maddy next week powder huntin..

ya we should get together again and catch some spring salmon...I got another good spot to fish too..

ya the bear skulls I just slowly boiled them in the pot on a propane stove..I never bleached my skulls...and they turned out good

at spring bear camp...some hunters had the flesh on there skulls gone by the end of the week...some kind of bug up there devours the flesh..forget the name..there not the flesh eating beetles..

I set up my pot back behind the garage.. ya the smell of the bear skull is strong..lol.. but managable..

I usually do a couple every year. I've tried various methods but boil and pressure wash is the fastest. I usually leave them in soapy water for a week or two, which will loosen up the last of the flesh and pull some of the grease from the bone. The water will stink eventually to let you know that you didn't get all the flesh off and the
Nice racks. Your kid doesn’t look too impressed. Lol.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks