Fathers day Strip Loins - any marinades for share?

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
In my Wednesday morning preview of what's on sale starting tomorrow, I was thinking I would see the flyers strewn with brisket on sale, but... it's all about Strip Loins ( $7.88 at Loblaws and Valu-Mart). I haven't bought Strip Loins for a while because I was finding them too chewy to eat hot, however very tasty when let go cold and slice thinly. Going to give them a try again this weekend and marinate first for a change. I'd love any marinade recipes you think would work with this cut of beef.

Rub with Montreal steak slice and vacuum pack them for a couple days. MmmmMmmm

@fishstalker thank you! The instructions are a good reminder to bring the meat to room temp before hitting the grill. Too many years of keeping everything cold until cooked or consumed have stuck with me and a bit of room temp prep is a good thing.
I also just use the Keg Steak spice for a rub and let them.sit a few hours in the fridge. I've used the Broil.King marinade but prefer the dry rub now.
Very important for room temp before Q'ing

I tried the Keg as well, but the container I got was waaaaaay too salty for my taste buds.

In my Wednesday morning preview of what's on sale starting tomorrow, I was thinking I would see the flyers strewn with brisket on sale, but... it's all about Strip Loins ( $7.88 at Loblaws and Valu-Mart). I haven't bought Strip Loins for a while because I was finding them too chewy to eat hot, however very tasty when let go cold and slice thinly. Going to give them a try again this weekend and marinate first for a change. I'd love any marinade recipes you think would work with this cut of beef.
Submerge the steaks until just covered for 3 hrs in a bowl where you've mixed Red wine with 2-3 tablespoons of mesquite rub or a pouch of mesquite marinade, (or few drops of hickory liquid smoke if you'd rather that over the mesquite) a heaping tablespoon of fresh crushed/minced garlic, keg stk spice, 1/2 large red onion medium julienned, and for a bit of added kick, 3 pinches of cayenne pepper. (If you don't want them to have a kick, leave out the mesquite and cayenne) If you want to have them have a bit of a maple flavor, add some maple syrup, but lessen the amount of wine you use. Lowry's Season salt when you put them on the grill.

I have my best luck to tenderize steaks is to put them in a zip lock bag and dump a can of pineapple tidbits with the juice for a couple of hrs you will see the meat has small splits all over the surface check YouTube for best results comparison's

Looks like I have a lot of options to check out....thank you 😊 I'm going to start with the "perfect steak" recipe for this round and will have to try the "submerged in wine" and "pineapple" options. We do a fair bit of Montreal rub and on chicken too. I find it a bit salty and overpowering but others in the family love it.

Looks like I have a lot of options to check out....thank you 😊 I'm going to start with the "perfect steak" recipe for this round and will have to try the "submerged in wine" and "pineapple" options. We do a fair bit of Montreal rub and on chicken too. I find it a bit salty and overpowering but others in the family love it.

I find it salty if use too much, I just use a little bit. And coat the steak in whatever bbq sauce we have around right before I take them off the bbq

Use Montreal on beef regularly.

Have found a preference on chicken here to be Club House Roasted Garlic and Peppers.

Last round on the BBQ was that and Taylor's One Step. I give it a big pass as it still tasted great 2 days later in the truck, eaten cold.

Unfortunately you get what you pay for ? For a special event I would splurge and go to Townsend Butchers or VG Meats or similar such store and pay the extra for a melt in the mouth piece of steak because they can dry age the meat longer , 40 days is not uncommon and hence the price. OK back to the real world because 30-35 bucks per steak is hard to swallow. LoL ! I would look for steaks closer to the Best Before Date , if it's a bit dark that's ok it's aged and the thicker the better ( 1" minimum 1 1/2 inch better) look for the fat marbling in the meat (again the more the better) and if I remember what my brother the butcher said is if you apply pressure with your thumb and if it doesn't bounce back right away it should be a tender piece of meat.... something to do with the tissue breaking down as it ages. Dry rubs are nice for flavour but marinades will not only add flavour but speed up the break down (aging) process of the meat due to the chemical make up of them. Needless to say allow the meat to come up to room temperature and if you want to super age it , let it sit out longer. I wouldn't recommend this for anything else but beef. I keep my steaks simple; a bit of salt , fresh ground pepper and pre-rubbed with garlic as I find Montreal or Barbarians steak spice too salty for my diet.

So... Bon Appetit and to all you Dad's out there; Carpe Diem !

Check out the ad in Metro flyer ; Strip Loin Steak Value pack 7.44 / Lb. Product of Mexico Cut from ungraded Beef ? mmmmmmmmmm ? Ungraded ? Well.... it states it's Beef . LoL !

Vac seal or baggie seal the steaks in either Coke or Root Beer. Leave a few hours to overnight in the fridge. Drain well, pat dry, use whatever rub you like..we use Club House Garlic Plus..it isnt overloaded with salt like the Keg seasoning. 1624024398358.png

You can mix a bit of the leftover marinade with a bit of BBQ sauce and brush the steaks on the grill if you like more of a sauce vs dry rub.

tried this on beef stir fry to tenderize(velvet) put in a freezer bag with a SMALL amount of baking soda---let sit approx. 1/2 hour then rinse thoroughly before cooking. works but some people might be put off by the texture after

Check out the ad in Metro flyer ; Strip Loin Steak Value pack 7.44 / Lb. Product of Mexico Cut from ungraded Beef ? mmmmmmmmmm ? Ungraded ? Well.... it states it's Beef . LoL !
I always check out where the fruits and veggies are coming from, but I'll be checking out the fine print on the meat now too!:oops:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks