Father and Son?

GPS

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have been watching this deer for a few years. Thought it was one and now know there's two as they both visited this week. Antlers have a lot of similarities but the
old fellow is looking like he won't be challenging many other bucks this fall. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 102
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 104
The racks are similar but I don’t know that anyone could definitively say they’re related without a DNA test. Having said that, the old timer sure looks thin. I say shoot the mature buck and give the other at least one more year. Either way, cool pics.

I'm thinking that he may become a coyote feast. This years pups are now in hunting school with mom and dad, chasing and yipping half the night around here.

Not picking on your deer, but maybe someone with more deer health knowledge could chime in here, as far as disease ect? Is there a problem with its ears or maybe just the camera shot?
Someone mentioned shoot it instead of the other younger healthy one, just me, but I wouldn't be eating it?

Don't hesitate to make a call to MNR, the longer he roams around, the more"possible" damage he could be causing. and if it turn up nothing is wrong with that skinny guy, I would be targeting him to help the health of herd.

I spoke with a biologist. In order for him to have such poor body condition, something has happened very recently. In order for any age of deer to grow 8 antler points, he needs a good, abundant food source, good water source, and the proper mineral source and be in good health. So if he was sick for a while he wouldn't have the rack he does. Had he been sick for a while his system would have rejected the velvet on his antlers.
Most likely received an injury (hit by car, fallen and broken rib, ) which is causing an infection or preventing him from getting to his food source.
We'll wait and see. I got more pics this week which still show him alive, and will continue with to share with MNR biologist.

He looks the same.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 53
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks