Fanshawe Lake

I will admit I enjoyed catchin spring walleye in the thames river...I had a circle of fishn buddies back in the 70s and we spent countless hours fishin from shore and trolling in 12 footers down stream in the west lorne area. I am sure some of you old guys remember the action. We had to wait the month closure to spawn and then reopen april 15 from middlemiss to Chatham. Big bend conservation area and up stream to the bridge at 76 hwy was my favourite and normally stacked with pics. We trolled jigs and rapalas (shad raps) and limits were the norm. after the run we fished lighthouse cove and LSC for the post spawn window..yep good eating and offer great LSC action where you can still experience that today....ya 16 lsc pics last thursday
some of the thames shore fishin hot spot nick names were lady fisher or bus turnaround, the (radio) towers, the willows and the pumpkin patch either up or down stream from giels bridge fishin from shore

Last edited:
Oh! Almost forgot......lookout for the rowers! As long as your off the marked course you should be safe IMO but that isn't the case :s They'll take you out even if your anchored in my experience! They apparently have unlimited right of way irregardless of the situation! Lol

Josh

Don't forget the mini sailboat regattas! They set up a course on the main lake opposite side from the rowing lanes. Got temporarily trapped on opposite shore line i put in at in my float tube once.

I have a 60HP... and a 6HP kicker and an electric trolling motor.

I recently called Fanshawe Conservation office asking if they would let me on the lake.

She said there was recent discussion regarding this situation. She said they were pondering asking us to REMOVE the prop from our big motor. I don't like that idea.

Has anyone gotten on the lake with a big motor and a <9.9HP?

Also, I have a 16.5' Legend... any issues launching? Someone told me the launch drops off quick and is more suitable for 14' or less.

EDIT: I just saw an earlier post form Red Hering in this thread and I clearly see a big motor along with the small motor. Hopefully they are still allowing this as she sounded hesitant on the phone call I made. 14260

Last edited:
I have a 60HP... and a 6HP kicker and an electric trolling motor.

I recently called Fanshawe Conservation office asking if they would let me on the lake.

She said there was recent discussion regarding this situation. She said they were pondering asking us to REMOVE the prop from our big motor. I don't like that idea.

Has anyone gotten on the lake with a big motor and a <9.9HP?

Also, I have a 16.5' Legend... any issues launching? Someone told me the launch drops off quick and is more suitable for 14' or less.

EDIT: I just saw an earlier post form Red Hering in this thread and I clearly see a big motor along with the small motor. Hopefully they are still allowing this as she sounded hesitant on the phone call I made. View attachment 14260
Yes,an earlier photo,(above),and post indeed @snaapz of me with my 9O hp and a 9.9 hp on the back of my boat,plus a electric motor mounted on the bow of my boat on Fanshawe lake,when back then everything was fine with no issues,as long as I would either run my electric motor or my 9.9 hp outboard motor.NOW!! Yes I am pissed off at the UTRCA,due to the fact that I am not allowed on Fanshawe Lake anymore because I have my 90 hp outboard attached,(bolted),on my transom,therefore for that reason,I and others such as yourself,have been banned from using our boat on Fanshawe Lake with bigger motors as well on our transoms,because some “YO YO” apparently ran an outboard motor over 10 hp on the lake,which created a wake too much for the rowers to handle,therefore the under the 10 hp outboard only rule applied.I was totally fine with that rule,but now you,myself and others are all painted with the “bad brush!!” and not allowed to use Fanshawe Lake,unless I was told recently at the Fanshawe Lake front gate,to take my bolted 90 hp outboard motor,(250 lbs.-4 stroke),off my transom,or go to Wildwood Lake near St.Marys,(what a ZOO that lake is- lots of boats traffic there!!),or go to Pittock Lake in Woodstock.Needless to say,I have not bought a season gate or boat pass from the UTRCA now for the last 2 years.I have been buying both of these passes for a very long time over the past year’s!! I will not take my propeller off as another option as they told you @snaapz to do,because I boat everywhere in Southwestern,Ontario.Besides,Lake Erie is going to have good fishing for walleye’s again,(so we have been told),such like last year. Tight lines & walleye’s ON to all!! ?????

I sent a facebook message and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

I also called them again and got in touch with someone who was familiar with the situation. She wouldn't budge, she is aware of the situation and was familiar that one person in the past ruined it for everyone. Bottom line is that because I have the bigger motor I will not be permitted on the lake.

I reiterated that there are many people eager to pay and get onto the lake and obey the rules and to please relay that there is interest in resolving this. Even if its a policy/form you need to fill out and sign agreeing to the rules etc....

I'll try and reach someone "higher up" when I have some time to kindly ask them to review this policy and meet us in the middle somehow. They can generate more income, and we can fish the lake.

Maybe I can scratch off the 60 on my merc and put some 9.9 decal numbers :sneaky:

I do truly value that this lake is a no wake lake and has a lot of rowers, canoes, and sail boats. I understand they don't want another Wildwood (over fished and crowded with boats ripping all over)

It sounds like they already met you in the middle? Just pull your prop and you're good to go? Takes less than a minute and you can clean off any debris at the same time. I do mine a few times a season just to make sure there's no line caught up in it.

I don't get it - you'd rather spend an hour driving to another lake than spend a minute pulling the prop?

I called back, and that will be my last call.

• If you come in for day use you will not be granted access at all, period.
  • If you had booked a weekend or week to camp and brought your boat then they will work out a deal to let you use your boat if you remove the prop.

When people see boats with big motors they (office) constantly get calls asking why there is a boat with a big motor.

They tried letting big motors with small motors onto the lake in the past but it just didn't work out. They have Olympic rowers and other groups who row on the lake and that's the priority.

I think we are SOL.

I did suggest some policy/form to be signed by the boater acknowledging that they will not operate their >10HP motor, she said thats worth looking into... but I bet she has already forgotten.

I get it! It's fair.

Maybe now I should petition to have Wildwood stocked with fish!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks