Family Hunting Tradition for Alberta Elk

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Here is a pretty good example of big game hunting in the family out in NW Alberta.
After I had found an outfitter named Greg for a post rut elk hunt with 1 bull tag left, I made the big road trip across Canada to Debolt Alberta located 60 kms east of Grand Praire. I stayed on the family ranch for my hunt.
After just 1 full day of hunting with my guide, the very next morning we were able to locate a bull at first light on the edge of an alfalfa field.We made the stalk up to within 400 yds and I made the shot ranged at 370 yds and double lunged the beast..he ran down the field and piled up, and that was it.

So now the family hunters can hunt the bull elk on the 10s of thousands of acres of lands the family owns and it didn't take long for the tags to be filled..photos below were taken all in order, snow & no snow..

Greg and his uncle...then father then nephew
lake of the woods hunt 2017 198.jpeg lake of the woods hunt 2017 197.jpeg lake of the woods hunt 2017 106.jpg

gregs son just after school with his friend
lake of the woods hunt 2017 193.jpg
gregs daughter
lake of the woods hunt 2017 192.jpg

and finally Greg himself
lake of the woods hunt 2017 194.jpg

hope you like the story with the photos
they look like proud hunters to me..I know Greg was when his boy called for help to get the elk home..
if you go and you like Alberta beef...best I ever had right from the farm

Last edited:
If elk is on your bucket list check out of alberta..its that time of year
bull elk get big, you get alot meat..alfalfa fed..that alfalfa field had several moose & whitetail deer going in at first light.. one massive huge bull moose spooked him off right infront of the truck..

lake of the woods hunt 2017 186.jpg alberta elk hunt 021.JPG

Last edited:
Great story, are they lookin to adopt another kid???
Amazing animals, headed to Cranbrook in 4 weeks to give it a try.
A different kind of hunt than Alberta, but hoping to at least glass some.

congrats @firearm for your up coming elk hunt ...I had to look up where Cranbrook is..
well you have a tag, it sounds like you have hunted this area before, it looks flatand rich in agriculture..
Just wondered what is the difference with your hunt and an alberta hunt..

I hunted the post rut...concentrating on 3 different active food source fields with elk including 1 large pea field ..getting there at early am to spot them before they walk off the field and head to the thick timber to bed down for the day ..thats how I got mine.. we spotted him on the edge.. so we slowly stalked single file to a slight high spot on the field ..I did the laydown on the field using my dayback for a solid bench rest and fired the shot

we did have 3 different guides glassing for elk ant first & last light before I got there...that helped considerable

We seen moose deer bear on that alfafla field both mornings ..it is a magnet for game nocturnal feeding

Elk meat is where its at!! The best there is in my opinion. We're suppose to make a run to Manitoba this year.. got derailed last year do to lock down.
370yrds is a good poke,nice shooting Mick.
What did you tag the beast with?
I want to guess..300rum/30prc.

Hey thanks @SIX-GRAND ...I agree elk meat is very good, it has an unique flavour, alfalfa fed doesn't get any better...

My hunting rifle is nothing fancy and some would say not big enough..

At the time My choices were limited as I am a lefthand bolt shooter...so I bought a Tika T3 lite Stainless in 270 wsm shooting a 140 grain accubond...it hasn't let me down I have taken 2 moose 3 bear 1 elk 1 caribou and 1 wolf and missed another wolf..I hunted manitoulin deer and got skunked..I hunted aluneau penisula on lake of the woods, I shot a small eight pointer muzzleloader (only)

I bought a new Rem700 in 300 rum, I took it to the range and zeroed it in within 6 rounds..
but there was a big problem with the barrel out of alignment with the receiver...so I sent it in to remington warranty in Quebec and they could not fix it nor replacement it with the part (receiver/barrel)

So they offered me the new remington 700 long range in 300 rum only in RH ..so I sold it with 94 round
s of high end ammo and got my money back minus $100 bucks...the leopold scope I bought for it I sold seperately and made $60

Ya the 300 rum was intended for spring black bear in northern Ontario where the big ones are..what a bummer..

So thats my story..for you RHanders I think the 300 win mag is a great choice...the ammo is the most popular and offers good value..
besides the 300 rum and 300 weatherby, there is the nosler line in 26, 28 and 30..the nosler 28 would be a good one..like weatherby there ammo is $$$

and the newer Hornady PRC 30

for the 6 rounds of 300 rum I got to shoot..that mag was fun to shoot

But Its long barrel and long action for that cartridge..I know I wouldnt like shouldering it for a days hunting.. compared to my short action and short barrel with my 270 wsm and its light..there is recoil but its managable.. I put a limbsaver on it..

for my 270 wsm 140 grain I shoot just under 3 inches high at a 100 yds and its just under 4 inches low at 350 yds..i use to belong to otter valley gun club for years and put alot of trips and rounds through my rifle & muzzleloaders on the 100 & 200 yd targets..

I got a new Leopold 4X12-40 red dot with the free custom dial..but its still sitting in the box..not sure whats happening with my spring bear hunts..its been covid canceled 2 years in a row

Manitoba big game hunting oppurtunitys...haven't checked them out..NFLD I been 3X I enjoyed them the most

Last edited:
I was going to share Greg's business "SmokeyRiverOutfitters"

unfortunatley I just learned that Greg passed away April 2019 in a boating accident due to high water on bear creek and freezing temperatures. One man survived and Greg didn't make it.

He was a great outfitter, trophy hunter and a successful businessman. It was a real pleasure to experience such a nice guy and family. He shared alot with me.

alberta elk hunt 027.JPG alberta elk hunt 026.JPGalberta elk hunt 028.JPGalberta elk hunt 029.JPGalberta elk hunt 009.JPG
this is the lodge, but I was welcomed to his home graciously,

1 780-876-9101

the facebook page has recent hunting success updates

Last edited:
Great story, are they lookin to adopt another kid???
Amazing animals, headed to Cranbrook in 4 weeks to give it a try.
A different kind of hunt than Alberta, but hoping to at least glass some.
I went spring turkey hunting in Cranbrook several years ago. I saw more elk than I had previously seen in Jasper or Banff. All were down in the farmer's fields.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks