Off Topic Fall Smallmouth - Lake Erie Advice

Rob V

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I’m a newbie to fall small mouth on lake erie (north shore) and I was hoping for some direction from some of the locals. I’m hoping to fish the turkey point/normandale and surrounding area. Any suggested depths, dates (october vs September or November ?) and baits would really be appreciated. I know asking for locations would be pushing it ! :) Thanks in advance for any help/info members might be able to offer.

If your looking for fall smallmouth much better of going out of Nanticoke. You'll need to spend sometime graphing as the fish move a lot. Somtimes you'll catch them in 40 ft others 20 ft. later october early november I find the best. Pictures below taken in October (was a really warm day) last year

Attachments

• fall small mouth.jpg
    fall small mouth.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 71
  • fall smallie.jpg
    fall smallie.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 70
Does anyone ever find smallmouth around the inner bay in the early fall?
Yes but they are very hit and miss. We picked up a few smallies last week while perchin off of Turkey point. Fishers glen is another popular spot when the fish follow baitfish to feed. These opportunities aren’t every day obviously.

Yes but they are very hit and miss. We picked up a few smallies last week while perchin off of Turkey point. Fishers glen is another popular spot when the fish follow baitfish to feed. These opportunities aren’t every day obviously.
I do think that the long point bass are much more bait followers than structure oriented fish once August comes around. There are a lot of bass in the inner bay early in the season that seem to completely vanish. There is always a few down the north shore and bluff bar, but the vast majority are hard to find.

Rocks!!!!! Mid to late fall. Sun heats the rocks up and will hold baitfish bass... we killed them last year in about 6 to 8 feet of water. However this isn't an everyday thing and weather dependant. If theybate not shallow they are deep, up to 40 feet or so. Use your electronics and mark , spot lock etc. Drop shot , tunes, heavy jigging spoons.

Rocks!!!!! Mid to late fall. Sun heats the rocks up and will hold baitfish bass... we killed them last year in about 6 to 8 feet of water. However this isn't an everyday thing and weather dependant. If theybate not shallow they are deep, up to 40 feet or so. Use your electronics and mark , spot lock etc. Drop shot , tunes, heavy jigging spoons.
I am assuming this is Nanticoke and east?

Both. While my favorite fall spot is to the east , there are some nice sunken piers rocks etc to the west . Ryerse fishers Glen normandale all have some structure. Again it's hit and miss nut when its good , its good

It would be amazing to find some isolated structure in the middle of the outer bay.. it is so flat and featureless that I'm sure any sort of structure would hold fish

Start looking for offshore structure.... as mentioned above, they will go shallow too looking for warm rocks at this time of year... but offshore rocks are a staple year around once the spawn is over. Come late October and into November they tend to group up deeper, again, on rock piles. Your graphs are you friend.

Here's a vid we did last November out of Nanticoke. Same style of baits apply year around for deeper smallies. Drop shots, tubes, swimbaits that look like gobies etc. I think we have some graph screen shots at 2:10ish that show you what to look for.

Cheers,
Ryan, Averie and Claira

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks