Fall Salmon in the Inner Bay

blue spruce

Big Creek has salmon so they must come through the Inner Bay to get to the creek so has anybody ever trolled the Inner Bay for Salmon?
Thanks

I agree with Josh. The run is a mere shadow of the good old days around here.

What r u talking about @stomp? Everybody knows rainbow only run in the spring.
I went to college for Aquatic science, speciallizing in trout and salmon culture. I spent over 5 years working on fish farms!
for over 25 + years the domestic strain of rainbow trout have been fall spawners, so that the fingerlings would be ready to go to the cage farms and pond stocking in the spring.

Over the years there have been lots of escaped fish, thus creating fall spawning fish in the wild.

just last weekend a friend of mine caught a 5lb rainbow in a creek off the maitland river near wingham. Ever year while bow hunting near the same creek, I see 1/2 dz rainbows coming up creek to spawn.

I went to college for Aquatic science, speciallizing in trout and salmon culture. I spent over 5 years working on fish farms!
for over 25 + years the domestic strain of rainbow trout have been fall spawners, so that the fingerlings would be ready to go to the cage farms and pond stocking in the spring.

Over the years there have been lots of escaped fish, thus creating fall spawning fish in the wild.

just last weekend a friend of mine caught a 5lb rainbow in a creek off the maitland river near wingham. Ever year while bow hunting near the same creek, I see 1/2 dz rainbows coming up creek to spawn.

Sorry @Puddle Jumper I guess I should have said (insert sarcasm here) first. Stomp has been harassing me for years to post about my beloved chrome. But I learned my lesson years ago to keep my mouth shut unless sharing a drift with someone whose fingers are as numb as mine.

For those new to 68 please allow me to introduce myself. My friends call me Stick. And I'm an adipose fin junkie. I started chasing trout and salmon almost 45 years ago and I'm not about to stop unless a wheelchair or pine box prevent me. I've taken jobs not because of the pay, but because I was less than a 5 minute drive from some prime drifts to occupy my lunch hour. I've owned a small tackle shop, worked 5 years at a trout hatchery my father helped his good friend build up into a thriving business and besides my mom, wife and daughter, NOTHING is more important to me than being a trout bum. NOTHING! And here my season is beginning. My wife and I are still living out of boxes from moving to our new house 2 weeks ago, my drift boat is still upside down with a gaping hole in her hull and I'm sitting here at this moment watching the wind driven rains knowing that my beloved playmates are coming home and I can't get out just yet because I have way too much work to do!

Stick---feel your passion for steel

Cant walk the streams or stand for any length of time anymore---doesn't diminish the thrill of the hunt----have good memories of time spent with friends or just by myself

Gord

Both Kettle and Catfish creeks have fall runs of salmon and trout. Not sure why but both these creeks seem to clean up from their summer flowing chocolate milk color to quite clean looking in the fall. See them often well duck/deer hunting, usually in the pools above any rapid's. You'd want to check the regulations though, not sure on closed season's?

Both Kettle and Catfish creeks have fall runs of salmon and trout. Not sure why but both these creeks seem to clean up from their summer flowing chocolate milk color to quite clean looking in the fall. See them often well duck/deer hunting, usually in the pools above any rapid's. You'd want to check the regulations though, not sure on closed season's?

Both close Sept 30. They clean up when the temps drop below 50 and the algae bloom ends.

ITS Great to hear that Stick is alive and well. Hopefully "Sir Stick" will continue to update us on his stories. His antics and experience have been missed!

Hire some cheap labour for those boxes and then send us some stories!!

ITS Great to hear that Stick is alive and well. Hopefully "Sir Stick" will continue to update us on his stories. His antics and experience have been missed!

Hire some cheap labour for those boxes and then send us some stories!!

"Sir Stick?" Hardly! Just an addict of my kind of fishing. Glad to hear some enjoy my limited posts. The content comes from the heart.

At this age I've come to realise how short good quality of life can be. Family and personal issues take precedence over all else but as long as they are taken care of......I can allow my addiction to consume my life, with extreme pleasure. I've been fortunate to be blessed with a woman that understands, to a point, that I must do what I must do, especially at this time of year.

I started out learning from my dad, who had life experiences I will never face, that the bush and our water can be a part of you, and you of it, if you open your eyes and your soul. Once his time on this earth was over I carried on doing what we had done together under the wing of a few trout fisherman I had grown to respect and call friend. I've been lucky to fish during the good years and the tough ones, share water with some exceptional thinkers as well as those who could care less if the fish come easy or not. We just needed to be there. Hurricane, sleet storm or heaven forbid, bluebird skies. Doesn't matter. The addiction must be fed.

My dream is to retire soon enough to chase that perfect dropping water for as long as my body will allow, then to be able retain every memory until I draw my last breath. Until then, it's time to prepare for the few days I can work in, fish the good days and the tough ones, learn something from every experience and get reacquainted with my bush, my water, my home.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks