Eyes in Lake Huron east of Kettle point?

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I live in Port Franks and have had good success over the years fishing for Salmon, Trout and Smalls but never had any luck with Pickerel. Reading on this site has given me lots of new ideas to try... I just wonder if anyone else has had success here? There are nets set most years in the "bowl" I assume they are for perch... maybe pickerel too? I remember when I was a kid the perch would jump into the boat they were so plentiful... now all you catch are Gobies

I live in Port Franks and have had good success over the years fishing for Salmon, Trout and Smalls but never had any luck with Pickerel. Reading on this site has given me lots of new ideas to try... I just wonder if anyone else has had success here? There are nets set most years in the "bowl" I assume they are for perch... maybe pickerel too? I remember when I was a kid the perch would jump into the boat they were so plentiful... now all you catch are Gobies
Hi Rastam4n, I was wondering if you could provide some insight into fishing the Port Franks area. I boat out of Port Franks, and have had some luck with walleye and lakers, but no real success with Rainbow or Salmon. I don't have riggers, and stick to dipseys and leadcore. I have spent most of my time fishing the fingers and in towards the mouth. I would expect that this time of year we can still reach the salmon with my setup, but as the summer moves on they would be too deep. Any useful intel would be appreciated!! ie speed, depth to focus on based on time of year, spoons or body baits, etc

Hi Rastam4n, I was wondering if you could provide some insight into fishing the Port Franks area. I boat out of Port Franks, and have had some luck with walleye and lakers, but no real success with Rainbow or Salmon. I don't have riggers, and stick to dipseys and leadcore. I have spent most of my time fishing the fingers and in towards the mouth. I would expect that this time of year we can still reach the salmon with my setup, but as the summer moves on they would be too deep. Any useful intel would be appreciated!! ie speed, depth to focus on based on time of year, spoons or body baits, etc

You’re a bit late now for chinook. But there are some coho and pinks around still. Last time I was out we were catching in 60’ of water. East of Stoney point. I will likely be moving out in front of the pinery soon. Your gear should still work. But I often set riggers down deep with sliders and that’s been my best luck
I’m having luck this year with bright colours. Fluorescent orange and silver back. Pink panties, nascar etc. No need for magnums either. I’ve had lots of luck on smaller spoons this year.
Good luck out there!

I was going from 55 to 80 fow. I caught the king in 72’ on a planer board with 4 colours.
There was no doubt about if their was a fish on or not. I can say that for sure! ( this is only funny if you have read my threads about planer boards)

Thats a coho ;) and a good one!

Josh

OMG you are absolutely right! I was so excited about the size of the thing I didn't even bother to really take a good look at it...
Never thought I would see a 32" Coho... wish I had a scale... I will be heading to Lambeth today to get one and a few other things....

You’re a bit late now for chinook. But there are some coho and pinks around still. Last time I was out we were catching in 60’ of water. East of Stoney point. I will likely be moving out in front of the pinery soon. Your gear should still work. But I often set riggers down deep with sliders and that’s been my best luck
I’m having luck this year with bright colours. Fluorescent orange and silver back. Pink panties, nascar etc. No need for magnums either. I’ve had lots of luck on smaller spoons this year.
Good luck out there!
Thanks for the tips! I will give it a shot. Looking forward to getting out this weekend. I'll update you with any catches if your tips work out!

I have always wanted to try the area but the shoals scare me... Is there a trick to it? I normally forego it and head up to Goderich but Kettle Point would save me a few minutes driving

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks