Etec Motors??

quote:
Originally posted by big rod

yea I had a 2006 90 etec and it hated to troll for long periods. Ran xd100 too, all updates and recalls were done...along with a fuel pump that left me dead on the water, and a bad trim pump. Finally pulled it off and put on a 90 johnzuki....was hard to find it in '07 (they were done in 2005 thanks to BRP) but man do we love it...3rd year on it now. My dad also owns a 90 etec...his is a 2005. It also has had a few issues....ECM replaced, 2 recalls, trim pump and a few spark plugs for fouling. He loves it though as he was use to an old carb v4. To each there own but I wouldn't buy another etec.....ever.

2catch1

Big Rod. I enjoy your posts but beg to differ. Sounds like you have a hatred/ignoranc for BRP. I owned owned a 90hp,1996 Johnson in the past. It smoked but never let me down. I been runing a 115hp etec since 2006. No smoke, great gas mileage, trolls good for hours. Recomend them now.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to 2catch1
Find all posts by 2catch1
Add 2catch1 to Your Contacts

Big Rod

www.bigrodsguideservice.ca

Those are not my postings,i am just showing ya what i saw on another message board...don't shoot the messenger.
Happy Trolling:D

Big Rod

www.bigrodsguideservice.ca

Well since were having a beat down on etecs shall i dig up the pros and cons on mercs hondas and yamahas so a few ppl got a bad tec nobody can have a perfect engine, but what i did find, was im glad i went tec instead of yam merc or honda for that matter. Ive had mine 4 yrs with no probs at all. Change my oil and plugs thats it. Check it out mercs and yamaha problems and let me tell you there is a list of them and youll see the evinrudes as well as johnsons but nothing like the other ones.

will hunt for food

Hi all.
06 225 HO etec and 00 Honda 90. no problems with either. I love them both.
Cheers, Clark

In a perfect world there would be no problems from any outboards made today, especially with all the new technological advancements being made available. But anything mechanical will always have issues of some sort, one way or another. All we can do as consumers, is do our due diligance(this forum for instance), and spin the wheel and hope it works out for the best. For me, and I can only speek for myself, MY 115 ETEC, so far, is beyond my expectations. Yup, I too read that folks had issues with ETEC motors, but also with all the top manufacturers as well though.
I fish as often as possible in Florida(at least twice a year)on the gulf side, and likely upwards of 80% of all outboards I seedown there are Yamaha fourstrokes. They must be great motors for sure, if you want a fourstroke. ETEC motors are definitely on the rise there though, as well as up here, right behing Mercury fourstrokes. I don't know if that bit of info helps anyone.
I too might be an ETEC basher if I had problems with my new motor and a dealership that was less than helpful, but that's the risk we take buying anything from any manufacturer(be it a Chevy or a BMW). We've all been through it at least once.
Please folks, just do as much research as possible beforehand, take everything with a grain of salt, and know that you made an informed and intelligent decision, based on the information at hand. That's all we can do. Good luck, and good fishing;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks