Erie Noobie

MMR

Morning all

Tried Erie for the first time in my life on Saturday out of burwell. Launched out of big otter, what a great launch facility!

Marked tons of fish. We started in 50’ fow outside of the pack and worked up to 57’ fow. We managed 2 walleye and 3 sheep head. Ran worm harness, a couple spoons and a couple RRF. WackM tackle Worm harness took all the fish and I’m assuming it was due to my slower trolling speed of 1.7-2.0 mph at the probe. Spoons and cranks should be run faster? Ran various techniques such as down riggers, dipsys, and 3/5 colour lead core with and without snap weights.

All in all was nice to get on new water and try new things. Lake was bumpy but noticed smaller boats then mine still out so figured we were still ok. Pulled off before the storm clouds started to show up. Just wondering if there is any basic information that you could give a new guy other then just more time on the water. Might try again this weekend so I hope to fine tune my set ups a bit more and get a better idea on what and how to run. Thanks and hope to post some upcoming success!!

welcome...sounds like you have a good idea,,,keep plugging away,,,speed is very important with depth of lures..good luck..

Congrats on a successful outing. Yes, I'd say your speed did impact your success. I have trouble keeping consistent speed and notice that when I'm in the 2.7-2.9 zone the walleye seem to go nuts. When I'm outside this zone they are nonexistent. I'd say most in the central basin don't use worm harnesses often. A worm tip on a RRF can be great, if you're looking for a spot for worms in that higher speed category.

Deep divers get them away from boat fish the upper water column dipseys on 3 80 back speed 2.7 to 3 bright color combos chartreuse purple. Purple pink l run a red and gold worm harness on a dipsey and it accounts for 1/3 of my fish

You will run a worm harness at 2.7 mph??? Funny you mention the dipsy I was using a #1 on 3 setting 91ft and that took a couple hits. I have a thing for uneven number catch more fish 😂

You will run a worm harness at 2.7 mph??? Funny you mention the dipsy I was using a #1 on 3 setting 91ft and that took a couple hits. I have a thing for uneven number catch more fish 😂
I dont run harness at all , to much fuss , for me anyway
rrf in blueberry muffin, gold and black
Spoons with copper, gold , chartreuse back
This year dipsey and leadcore done most damaged
Riggers are slooooooow, but that can change
When running riggers use sliders , I like orange color for sliders gold backed
Average speed 2.7- 2.9 , up to 3.1 when after rainbows, or still getting 🐑 at lower speed
Use your fish finder and mark the spot soon as you hook up , it will show you the productive are for next time out , And also easier to circle back to that spot if not getting anymore bites
I dont go straight lines always turn, zig zag pattern
Keep your eyes on your sonar fish are not always in the same depth during the day , I find morning dipsy back at 85 ' #3 settings by 10:00- 11:00 set back to 115 ' -135 '

The only thing I can't echo is RRF, they just haven't done anything on the boat for a couple of years now.

Welcome
I run 3 mph. I personally like spoons. NASCAR and pink panty the best. And my dollar store crank bate lol. The best think just try different depths speeds and have fun.

Is it just me or is 3mph fast? I run 3mph when on Lake O for salmon... I was told (by many) that as low as 1.7mph to as high as 2.5 mph is the speed for walleye in Lake Erie. Last year, I don't think I ever trolled faster than 2.5mph. (I have a fish hawk, and down at the ball there is seldom much difference from surface "speed", unlike Lake O where I see considerable differences). Shocked to hear so many are trolling so fast in Lake Erie (this is only my 2nd year really targeting this lake). I am lucky in the sense that I just installed my iTroll system - so I will try hunt mode and/or just vary my speeds up to 3pmh and as low as 1.7 mph. I will run this experiment until I have a good number of "observations". I promise to report back with data once I have accumulated enough of it. I will try to be as agnostic as possible and try to record the data as accurately as possible. All in the name of walleye fishing...
cheers

We've been running 2.7 to 3.4 mph on GPS for 2 seasons now and have been consistently been bringing in 3 and 4 man limits of Walleye most days out. Mostly running dipsey #1's on 3 with Ripplin Redfin's of assorted custom colours and leadcore pulling deep divers in perch colour. My best lure this season has been a custom painted UV Metallic blue/gold from Wack'm tackle called IceAge, followed closely by a Blueberry muffin RRF, and a Nascar RRF all from Wack'm.

We've been running 2.7 to 3.4 mph on GPS for 2 seasons now and have been consistently been bringing in 3 and 4 man limits of Walleye most days out. Mostly running dipsey #1's on 3 with Ripplin Redfin's of assorted custom colours and leadcore pulling deep divers in perch colour. My best lure this season has been a custom painted UV Metallic blue/gold from Wack'm tackle called IceAge, followed closely by a Blueberry muffin RRF, and a Nascar RRF all from Wack'm.
Only been out a handful of times.
when I’m below 2.5mph not catching anything but sheephead, 2.5mph-3.3mph on the GPS catching walleye with RRF and spoons.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks