end sunday hunt?

paddle maker

Is there any interest. In trying to end the sunday hunt in 90 and thus extend the goose hunt? If so who do you contact in order to begin the process? Just a question.

I'm sure that more people would wanna keep the Sunday than those who would wanna cancel it. Personally working 7-5 Monday to Friday makes hunting season short as it is. I thought most places with no Sunday hunting have been fighting to get it similar to brant county a few years ago.

Substantial effort went into getting Sunday hunting approved. I would suspect that substantially more goose hunters benefit from the opportunity to hunt both days on weekends than the number able to take advantage of an extended winter season.

Good topic!!!!!! I for one am all for Sunday hunting most of us have to work Monday to Friday And having Sunday has been great, that being said I do think that a few changes could be made. I would like to see the early season scrapped in favour of the late season in February March but that's just one idea. I have heard talk of possible changes that would have goose season open only on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and run through January and February now that would be awesome!!!!!

just wondered what people thought I know I refuse to hunt weekends myself because I don't want to get shot. So letting the weekend warriors have to days does have its benefits. The late season is very enticing though.

Can't say that I know of to many people getting shot goose hunting you must live in a much more dangerous neighbourhood than me Hahahaha cheers n happy hunting!!!!!!

I for one would support dropping the sunday hunt and I hunt weekends and weekdays, however I really enjoy the late goose season and would prefer not to drive an hour one way to scout areas that have the hunt.

IMO scrap the early season hunt to hot birds don't eat as much
The same a me burning calories to keep warm makes for better field hunts
Full of pin feathers and no fat
Keep the sun hunt cause you can hunt many other species that way

Could also go with a two colored license/stamp system ... one color for those not hunting Sunday's and opting for the extra goose season, and one color for those hunting Sundays and giving up the extra goose season.
Waterfowlers are honest aren't they :)

The Sunday gun hunt is a county issue. And it took a lot of fighting to get gods day turned into our day.

However agree the early goose hunt should be scrapped for the late season in Sunday hunt counties.

Sorry totally disagree that the early season should be scrapped, I usually kill a lot of birds in those 10 days and I live in an area that has no Sunday hunting so in turn I have the late season in my area as well. The last two season (and most other years) there has be absolutely ZERO geese in my area due to no open water. Sure half hour south of me holds lots of late birds but also has LOTS of late season hunters so no point in even trying to scout it. Guys you shouldn't be focusing on taking opertunities away from hunters but rather trying to make more opertunities for hunters. Why not lobby that they add a late season hunt in all areas no matter if there is Sunday hunting or not. If they are serious about wanting to cut the numbers of resident (nusance) geese then we need to lobby to get more opertunities instead of trying to cut one hunt out for another!

It seems that us as hunters have to fight to maintain or extend our hunting opportunities why would we want to give back a gain, would that not be a gain for the tree huggers out there I agree with CDNduckslayer we need to lobby for more opp.

The reasoning for the sun hunting zones not having late season in we are at a maximum of days to hunt waterfowl (geese)
Don't quote me but iam pretty sure it's a north American treaty
I do agree we don't want to lose opportunity for hunting days I just need work less lol

Sunday hunting applies to more than just waterfowl. You would be taking away Sundays from turkey hunters, and deer hunters too!!

If you want a later goose season lobby to have goose season extended or a later opener…or hunt another area. Need to promote more sustainable opportunities, not take opportunities away!

It's my understanding that we have a treaty with the states on how many days we get to hunt waterfowl. So being in a Sunday hunt zone, we lose the late season.
I'm not a big fan on Sunday gun hunting for anything, but I do hunt during it. I hunt a lot of places (properties) and about half will not permit it, and don't overly like hunters hunting on the neighbours property. My biggest fear with Sunday gun hunting is that it pisses landowner off ( for whatever reason) and they start saying no to permission.

@Ingold Archery ... you are correct. In the Migratory Birds Convention Act, each zone throughout North America is allocated "x" number of days per season-year for migratory bird hunting. These days can be split up, but cannot exceed the total number of days for the zone. The allocation of the days are administered by the local (as opposed to continental) authority. In our case it's Canada Wildlife Service that sets our dates.

Personally, I'm all for scrapping the early hunt and letting us have the late hunt here in Norfolk County. There is still considerable vacationer activity in the area, and most fields still have crops in them when the early hunt is on. Standing on the beach in Port Dover putting the smack down on several Giant Canada's with a Browning Gold 10 is sure to raise more than a few eyebrows ... might even become a topic of interest in the Sound Off column of the Port Dover Maple Leaf ... LOL

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks