Elastics?

maytagman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Need to pu a new bag of elastics from Staples and I forgot The number??? 2nd, I purchased a big bag 6 yrs ago and last year found it almost impossible to break off the elastic from planer board line..............any one else have issues with elastics getting stronger as they get old? I keep them in a cupboard in the cabin sheltered from the elements.

16,s were what I needed for use with shower curtain rings.............I dont use clips.

When I use to run my big boards and found elastics that didn't break I always kept a pair of nail clippers on board and nipped a cut in the elastic which solved that problem.

Recently I was in contact with a Charter Operator who fishes Lake Ontario (US) reguarding a Reply Post he made on an American Forum "Views on Rubber Band Planer Board Clips"

THIS IS A COPY OF THE PM I SENT HIM

Your reply was that you use the real small rubber bands that girls us in their hair or that are used in “looms” and are just the right breaking strength and come in various glow colors so you can see them easily. I used to use the #16 and #19's from Staples but these work better than the more full sized bands and are easier to see. I use various ways to attach them from the already mentioned shower curtain rings or plastic clothes pins The nice thing about the small bands is that there isn't as much stretch to them so even smaller fish break them quite quickly.

Here where I live, which is South of London, ON, CANADA I remember a few short years ago I could find the looms at any Dollar Store but not now. I couldn’t even find any at our local Walmart (asked a Sales Clerk). The Generic Rainbow Looms (knock-offs versions made in China) that were carried by Dollar Stores had high levels of the Carcinogenic substance Phthalate which resulted in Stores taking them off their shelves here.

I did find at a couple of our Dollar Stores which carry and are labelled as Hair Elastics in a assortment of Fluorescent Colors but looked similar to a loom so I bought a package. They are 3/4” in diameter and a 1/16” thick. I stretched one out to 7 1/4” with out breaking it. I think the breaking strength for these are to great for using on Planer Board Releases.

I read Online that the breaking strength for a Release Band should be about 2lbs. Please correct me if that is wrong. Do you have any idea what the breaking strength of the looms that you have been using.

Your help appreciated.

Get Hooked

THIS IS HIS REPLY PM

Hi there thanks your your note. First of all I have for years used 3 lbs or thereabouts as the breaking strength and have used some bands at 3 1/2 lbs previously that worked OK as there is really no exact answer because it is a personal preference and the approximate 3 lb breaking strength allows for most smaller fish to break the band while supporting the use of a variety of lure actions without releasing. I just tested 10 of the black colored hair bands from Big Lots and they varied somewhat but averaged 2.85 lbs (digital scale). Some of these bands could be smaller than the ones I use too and could be more difficult to tie on the line not sure from the pic. Hope this helps. Les

P.S. I think I bought some of mine in either Joann's Fabrics or Michaels Craft place so if you have those stores I'd check there too.

Out of curiosity I was in town so I went to Michaels and Big Lots (pictured) and purchased some bands. The Big Lots ones broke at 1.74 to 1.85 while the thicker ones from Michaels broke at 3.65 lbs. The older black ones I have from Big Lots were in between in thickness so in short you have to test them. I used an inexpensive but very accurate digital luggage scale to measure.

I have been using these bands for several years at the approximate 3 lb breaking strength so I believe you want to be around that as it also offers a little more strength in rough water with boards.

THIS IS MY REPLY PM
Les,
Thanks for help and info. With your advise I now know what strength of a release band I should be looking for. On your Pic the Michaels are the Original Rainbow Looms. This is the Link out of Michigan for the Manufacture of these and all the Colors that are available.

LINK:
https://www.rainbowloom.com/products

Look under the Rubber Band Heading for all the Colors.

Below is a couple of Attachments on the Looms.

RUBBER LOOMS USED.jpg
RUBBER LOOMS FROM BIG LOTS AND MICHAELS.jpg

Local Michaels store has stock here in Btfd. Going to add a bag of these also. I am going to compare the 2. There's a fine line between holding and breaking when pulling say 10 color or diving Rapalas. I questioned the shelf life when I reeled them right up to the boat and had to yank to break the elastic. Again thank you for posting all that information. Gordon.

I use 19 24 from staples some 16 . My fo exact opposite i leave them exposed to direct sunlight to make them weaker

16,s were what I needed for use with shower curtain rings.............I dont use clips.

I'll have to consider myself lucky, the mast and boards I got came with more than enough rings and clips to cover a three person limit and then some.

I'll have to consider myself lucky, the mast and boards I got came with more than enough rings and clips to cover a three person limit and then some.
I used to use releases(clips) for each line a few years back. Past 4 years there are so many fish I switched to elastics.

Need to pu a new bag of elastics from Staples and I forgot The number??? 2nd, I purchased a big bag 6 yrs ago and last year found it almost impossible to break off the elastic from planer board line..............any one else have issues with elastics getting stronger as they get old? I keep them in a cupboard in the cabin sheltered from the elements.
I have used #16 on sliders for years. I let them sit out in the sun to weaken. I can not say that I’ve had them get stronger sitting in storage.

I have used #16 on sliders for years. I let them sit out in the sun to weaken. I can not say that I’ve had them get stronger sitting in storage.
I am going to try the ones described in prior posts, plus I grabbed a small bag of 16,s in case the michaels ones do not suit me. Big bag I have is getting old and I am sure they are tougher. I used to have issues with them breaking when I would accelerate, turn and so on for more lure action. Last summer I could pull husky jerks 5mph............they stretched real far but still were hard to snap..................no biggie we will see this season.
I did break a couple of the rainbow looms with my hand and they are noticeably easier then the new 16 I compared it to...........no scale just stretched till they snapped.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks