EATING ERIE FISH.

Dewworm

So Ive been doing some research and find guide to earing ont. sport fish is ok with consumption of erie walleye and perch but not trout.. What are all your thought on consuming fish from this great lake, I have a wife and 2 teens and a ten year old.. im thinking if we were to eat fish 1 time evey 2 weeks we would be fine.. thoughts..

It's like anything else. Moderation. I've been eating the fish I catch out of Lake Erie, (perch, walleye, catfish, rainbows) since I moved back to Ontario 10 years ago, but I don't eat fish every day, in fact I usually only eat fish once or twice a month so I don't really have any need to pay closer attention to that consumption guide, because the amount I eat and the frequency in which I eat it, is of no concern. IF I were eating fish every day, I'd pay more attention to it because then it would matter more.

Come on? so some gov guide says ok, eat em up?? They've never been wrong? Don't get me wrong, I eat Erie fish a few time.s a yr, but lets not pretend because some printed guide says yes, were all good?
Other side of this, pork, chicken, beef at local, there is no consumption guide? guess its all good to go?

Anything over 4 lbs just toss it back and enjoy in moderation.

I doubt any pacific fish you get from the grocery store is better than anything from Erie.

Even with fish farming look at tilapia fishing practices in China lol.

I don’t believe everything in print on the consumption guide. Too many variables. Sometimes I wonder if the consumption guide is for conservation measures with some of the lakes listed up north. Or perhaps we are all doomed.

yea i dont buy any fish..i want to try the erie phenomenon and was just looking into the edibility of its wares..i think ill stick to smaller fish and keep the bows for smoking, thats if i catch any..

I will eat fish from Erie, but I won't eat plant based hamburger or sausage lol
At least fish from Erie I have an idea whats in it
I aggre that farmed fish is a lot worse than wild
I read somewhere in the USA they going to put on the market genetically modified salmon ,anybody hear about it ? Just curious

Well being from the east coast i was rased on fish and being in ontario for the last 30 years i am still eating fish and the last i checked when the lights go out i dont glow in the dark so I'll keep eating fish lol ? oh yea now that im 58 years old and trust me when i say this I've eatin alot of fish

Save a walleye perch or bow and eat a shithead.....if you think eating fish from Erie is any worse than the process crap sold in stores than you might have bigger issues ..
..moderation is key. We all gonna die from something and if mine is from eating fish I caught...iam good with that!!!!!!!!

The numbers in the guide are there to keep you healthy. Just like when my Dr. says not to drink more than 1 drink a day! ??

Going by the guide for central basin I can eat 12 meals of walleye a month, up to 20" fish. That means I can eat walleye every 2 or 3 days, all year long and not be a concern for contaminants. So that's the "1-beer-a-day" level of safe in my mind.

For perch, I can have 32 meals in a month as long as they are under 12". That means perch every freaking day of the week, sometimes twice a day.

For trout, sure the limits are much lower. Only 1 meal a month on some of the big fish to stay in the safe zone.

How are these numbers even remotely concerning?? Do you need fish 3 meals a day??

I'd bet my last dollar that if they ran the same analysis on ANY smoked fish it would come back at "HOLY CRAP NEVER EAT THIS STUFF IT IS GOING TO KILL YOU!!" levels.

I get that people want to treat their body like a bubble-wrapped temple, so that they can make it to 115 years of age withering away slowly in a home waiting for people to visit. I'll be dead at 80 and you can come to my funeral and see the bigass smile on my face sitting in the casket. To each their own! ??

Some of the replies about farmed fish are bs. I do agree about far east countries and talapia.
Gather the real facts rather than a bunch of opinions .

There's a fish farm not far from me that grows tilapia. They grow the fish in pure clean well water that comes from the same aquifer we drink from. The fish are fed a ration based on their needs, just like any other livestock. I'm not sure what is in the feed but I wouldn't hesitate to eat their fish, or the fish from any other Canadian farm.

Walleye grow fast and store less fat than trout, which is why they're safe to eat.

Contaminants, especially mercury, will be absorbed into living organisms over time and will dissolve into fat stores. When you eat this fish, you absorb some of the mercury and it gets deposited into your own fat stores. It takes a lot to accumulate enough mercury to harm you.

About 15 years ago I was part of a study that examined mercury absorption from eating fish. You'd record how many fish you ate, date of the meal, and where the fish came from. After 6 months they'd take a hair sample and were able to match mercury levels in your hair to the fish you ate.

My family in particular hat fish from far up north, and our mercury levels spiked because of that.

They quickly figured out (or confirmed, I don't know) that northern Quebec has a mercury contamination problem. All the hydro dams flood the land, releasing trapped mercury from the soil back into active water flows. This in turn ends up in my belly.

I will eat fish from Erie, but I won't eat plant based hamburger or sausage lol
At least fish from Erie I have an idea whats in it
I aggre that farmed fish is a lot worse than wild
I read somewhere in the USA they going to put on the market genetically modified salmon ,anybody hear about it ? Just curious
I took Aquaculture , and spent most of my 20's working on trout and salmon farms in Ontario and BC
farmed fish in north America will have a fast growth rate and therefore less toxins in water . the high end fishfood is most Herring meal and fish oil with pigment added so trout flesh turned red.
if its land based hatchery they are on spring water.

they have been using science with fish for years. mixing and messing with genectics. we were doing sex reversal 20 years ago in order to have an all female offspring . because once male trout reached 1.7-2.2 lb they would start being sexually mature and there meet would turn white instead of pink and the grocery store wouldn't buy it . sex reversal !!! take just hatched fry ….feed them food coated with testosterone for first 2 months of there life. keep fish separate until mature ...sort the sex reversed female from the supper males (higher testosterone levels ..extremely aggressive) raise your reversed females until maturity/ spawning season . now sex reversed females cant squirt the sperm. you must kill fish remove testi's ...cut strips in it ...let it strain drip thru cheese cloth into beaker …..then use that sperm with regular female eggs and you end up with 100% all female off spring .

BC farmed fish are usually less than 2 year old fish at harvest ..... pens hang 90-110' down in 250-300+ fow
and current and tides flush waste away from farms.
farm i work at started with 6" smolt chinook salmon and 18 months later we harvested 255 000 @ 12 kg average

for what ever reason rainbow trout wild or domestic ,have lowest consumption rating of all the trout and salmon species

that being said ....I have never bought fish other than for bait.

the key is moderation

Have eaten Erie fish for 65+ years.Have small problems talk through my ear, see through my nose, eat via right eye other wise all is good. Now the 65 is true and have eaten LOTS over the years with NO problems. Looking forward tonight a feed of Perch, and at my age will eat ERIE fish as often as I can.

I took Aquaculture , and spent most of my 20's working on trout and salmon farms in Ontario and BC
farmed fish in north America will have a fast growth rate and therefore less toxins in water . the high end fishfood is most Herring meal and fish oil with pigment added so trout flesh turned red.
if its land based hatchery they are on spring water.

they have been using science with fish for years. mixing and messing with genectics. we were doing sex reversal 20 years ago in order to have an all female offspring . because once male trout reached 1.7-2.2 lb they would start being sexually mature and there meet would turn white instead of pink and the grocery store wouldn't buy it . sex reversal !!! take just hatched fry ….feed them food coated with testosterone for first 2 months of there life. keep fish separate until mature ...sort the sex reversed female from the supper males (higher testosterone levels ..extremely aggressive) raise your reversed females until maturity/ spawning season . now sex reversed females cant squirt the sperm. you must kill fish remove testi's ...cut strips in it ...let it strain drip thru cheese cloth into beaker …..then use that sperm with regular female eggs and you end up with 100% all female off spring .

BC farmed fish are usually less than 2 year old fish at harvest ..... pens hang 90-110' down in 250-300+ fow
and current and tides flush waste away from farms.
farm i work at started with 6" smolt chinook salmon and 18 months later we harvested 255 000 @ 12 kg average

for what ever reason rainbow trout wild or domestic ,have lowest consumption rating of all the trout and salmon species

that being said ....I have never bought fish other than for bait.

the key is moderation
Did you mention Herring and red in one sentence :unsure::whistle: @Puddle Jumper? lol:ROFLMAO:;)?:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks