Dunnville, Grand River - Channel Cats

Fish em All

We recently made our third annual trip to the Grand River to fish for some monster cats. Once again we were faced with cold front conditions and cooler water temperatures in the 43 F range. The fish were very sluggish in the colder water, biting much lighter than normal and dropping baits after a brief hit. We anchored in 2-3 ft of water near shore and casted our rigs into 8-12 feet. We used 30-50lb braid, slip sinker rigs with 2-3 oz sinkers, and 4-5/0 octopus hooks baited with fresh cut-bait. The first two fish we caught were 10 and 11 lbs and we missed 3 other finicky cats. After moving several times and enduring heavy snow showers, we anchored closer to the dam, stayed in one spot for an hour and a half and caught 12 channel cats. Biggest fish of the day was 15.5 lbs and many were in the 10-14 lb range.
DSC06264.jpg

DSC06254.jpg

DSC06285.jpg

DSC06312.jpg

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

Nice I have to get down there one of these days thanks for the report.

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods and The Rod Glove for their support

Thanks a lot guys, it was a great day of fishing even though the conditions weren't the best. We release all of the cats that we catch but we did get a few smaller ones that would have been great smoked!!

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

Hi guys looks like you had a great day out , some real nice cats, got a new smoker last year will have to smoke a few fish this year.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks