Ducks stew

A lot of hunters use the term "sky carp " to describe Canada Geese . I guess it's because like carp they are everywhere

Redheads and Pintails waiting to be cooked "hot and fast" on a Weber BBQ. Then it will be time to open a bottle of Fshrgrl's pinot noir and enjoy!

RedheadsandPintails.jpg

As the saying goes "We're all descendents of successful hunters" and that probably refers to those who were good at putting meat on the table, which, ultimately, is why we hunt. Otherwise, why not just shoot clay pigeons? :D

Hello Dave,

Nice birds ... who cleaned and plucked them?

I fillet out the breast meat and the legs (on large ducks). I should try doing the whole bird again.

Scott suggested that I use a slow cooker since I usually overcook them on a George Foreman grill.

I have had poor success in cooking my ducks since my mother died ... edible ... yes ... tasty ... no!

Jerome

I enjoy ducks lots of different ways from stew to BBQ. However I think my all time favourite is a whole plucked late season mallard or black pretty simply roasted hot and fast in the oven just until medium rare. It is very easy to blow this and overcook. I noticed that the DU Inc. (USA) magazine this fall (has a black lab with pintail in snow on cover) has a recipe very similar to the way I like it so I tried following it just before Christmas and the whole family agreed it was amongst the nicest meals of any type we ever served. I will certainly be doing it again.

I'll second that singlemalt. My only modification is that the same applies anytime to the following fat healthy ducks that can be cleanly plucked. Order of preference for me is 1) BW Teal 2) Mallard or Black 3)Canvasback or Redhead 4) Ringneck/Woody/GW Teal 5) Widgeon/Gadwall/Pintail. I find BW teal are almost always superior and the others can easily improve or fall off the chart depending on circumstances (what they were feeding on)
quote:
Originally posted by singlemalt

I enjoy ducks lots of different ways from stew to BBQ. However I think my all time favourite is a whole plucked late season mallard or black pretty simply roasted hot and fast in the oven just until medium rare. It is very easy to blow this and overcook. I noticed that the DU Inc. (USA) magazine this fall (has a black lab with pintail in snow on cover) has a recipe very similar to the way I like it so I tried following it just before Christmas and the whole family agreed it was amongst the nicest meals of any type we ever served. I will certainly be doing it again.

Old Hunter Recipe
For a larger group of guys,par boil 8 to 10 or as many as you like duck breast,s then rinse and dice into bite size pieces,then place in roaster and add sliced onions,a couple of cans of mushrooms pieces or whole,it don,t matter then add assorted canned gravies example beef,chicken,mushroom then add half a bottle of red cooking wine.
Roast in oven for about 3 hours and stir once in a while,serve with mashed or boiled potatoes.Enjoy.

RON

A favorite recipe of mine is Duck Fingers.Slice breasts into strips then bread them like you do chicken.Drop into deep fryer for 5 to 7 minutes,longer if you like well done.Dip in your favorite sauce.:p

Hello Singlemalt,

I saw that recipe too ... looked good ... so I read it and added it to my file for future reference.

It is called "Roasting Ducks" by Scott Leysath in the DU September/October 2010 issue (Vol 74, No 5, Page 44).

Jerome

BB, that is the one. We had it again last night and it was delicious. The two mallard's breasts tasted and looked like very nice medium rare roast beef and the legs are wonderful. I had to fight to get one as my son ate three of them. I did cook the breast to a little higher internal temperature than Mr Leysath recommends. He suggests 145m I was more like 155.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks