Ducks stew

lcooper

I am making ducks stew, The ingredients are diced ducks, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, dumpling and beef stew seasoning mix. This is an old family recipe and it is an excellent stew. What you guys like to cook your ducks or geese?

I have made stew not bad..Fry with peppers onions garlic just don't over cook needs some pink in the meat. Made sausage to ,like to roast them up also.

I like them cooked on a Webber BBQ with shag bark hickory soaked in water and placed on the coals. Cover and cook to your liking.:D

I enjoy slicing mine into strips and pan frying them in a red wine gravy with onions, galic, pepper, and ssalt and pouring it all over a bed of rice . very tasty treat indeed.[^]

keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.

Whole skinned duck marinaded in wine vinegar, olive oil, rosemary, thyme, sea salt. Let marinade for a day. Allow to return to room temp and cook on rack pan at 450F. Mallard would take about 25mins (adjust for smaller ducks). Mind you, your duck will be medium-rare, so if you're squeamish about that, cook longer (but it'll dry out a bit if you do).

I find there is no better way to use those less than ideal species like divers, gadwalls, et or freezer burned birds than Cajun Style Duck Gumbo. I kind of play with the recipe every time I do it and it is always good. However, to get you started try this recipe from the Delta Waterfowl website.

www.deltawaterfowl.org/hunting/recipes/archive/014-gumbo.php

"Less than ideal species like divers..."???!!! I'd take a Canvasback, Redhead, Ringneck, or Ruddy Duck, plucked and cooked as Blackdog outlined above, over one of those mud-ducks called Mallards any day!

Mud Ducks ? mmmmmmmmmm Not when you get them after they've been into the corn and there is an inch of nice yellow fat on them...Mud Ducks ? LoL !

My Mom use to stuff an onion inside and wrap them in bacon if they wer not fat birds, I find stuffing them with quartered oranges and ginger keeps them very juicey. Nothing like a duck goulosh or gumbo when you want to spice it up !

Has anybody deep-fried a duck ?

Oh I forgot my best recipe give them to someone that always bugs you for them. More often than not they won't bug you for more.[}:)]

Canvasback, one of the wonderful things about life is how different we all are. Good thing to or we would all wear the same coat drive the same car and be chasing the same woman. To each his own, I like to shoot divers and I eat all I shoot but when it comes to a fine meal give me a fat late season mallard or a woodie any day.

Yes, Singlemalt, and it's also great that not all ducks taste the same. Anyway, found this in a story about market-hunting and thought that you might find it interesting re Canvasbacks and Mud-Ducks:

"In 1873, New York City's Fulton Market posted these prices: Swans, $2; wild geese, 75 cents; canvasbacks, $1 a pair; mallards, 75 cents a pair; teal, 50 cents a pair; wild turkey, 15 cents a pound; deer legs, 11 cents; saddles, 18 cents; haunch, 20 cents." :D

well I have a lot more money invested in all of the above said items did you say you were willing to sell your stock for that John??????
LOL. have a great day.;)

keepen'er afloat is always better than sinkin.

Here's from another article that also shows prices in today's dollars in parentheses. On a price/lb basis, Mud-Ducks are at the bottom ( except for Sky Carp, of course )8D

http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/12/ruddy-ducks-the-original-butterball-turkey/67472/

"These are retail market prices for ducks taken from the Currituck Sound in North Carolina in 1884:

• Pair of Canvasbacks: $1.00-2.75 ($64.83)
• Pair of Redheads: $0.50-1.60 ($37.72)
• Pair of Ruddy ducks: $0.25-0.90 ($21.22)
• Canada Goose: $0.50 ($11.79)

The price in parentheses is the modern price, adjusted for inflation. Astounding, isn't it? Also, no other species of waterfowl are listed. Then I found a 1901 restaurant menu cited in Appetite City: A Culinary History of New York from a place called Rector's that listed restaurant prices for a single cooked wild duck:

• canvasback, $4 ($101.79)
• redhead, $3 ($76.34)
• mallard, $2.50 ($63.62)
• ruddy duck, $2 ($50.89)
• teal, $1.25 ($31.81)

Makes totol sense(cents ?)to me!I use to figure in an average year my cost per bird to be 50 bucks[approx.] My friends shake their head as to why I just don't go to the market and buy a nice plump duck that's ready for the oven,cost 8-9 bucks ? The Asian food stores will sell you a whole B B Q duck for 12 dollars!If I remember correctly a wise old proffessor sums it up best " Some understand without an explanation and others never will".

quote:
Originally posted by singlemalt

Canvasback, one of the wonderful things about life is how different we all are. Good thing to or we would all wear the same coat drive the same car and be chasing the same woman. To each his own, I like to shoot divers and I eat all I shoot but when it comes to a fine meal give me a fat late season mallard or a woodie any day.

I prefer a canvasback or redhead over a mallard. Woodies are darn good eating but I have not shot one in a long time.

Paul Meisenheimer

Those prices were what the hotel/restaruant charged....correct ? I don't think the poor bugger risking his life got paid a quarter of that ?

The first set of prices were market prices, which I think were for plucked and cleaned birds, OCLP. So, the plucker/cleaner had been paid and the retail market would be making a profit, so I expect that the market hunter might have made 40-50% of the retail price. Note the range in price, which was probably based on how fat the bird was and on how badly it was or wasn't shot-up:

"These are retail market prices for ducks taken from the Currituck Sound in North Carolina in 1884:

• Pair of Canvasbacks: $1.00-2.75 ($64.83)
• Pair of Redheads: $0.50-1.60 ($37.72)
• Pair of Ruddy ducks: $0.25-0.90 ($21.22)
• Canada Goose: $0.50 ($11.79)

Hello guys,

I like mallards and blacks (same species) but I would take one canvasback over two of them in a heartbeat.

I harvested a Ruddy Duck last fall ... it was not a pleasant meal.

I have heard the term "sky carp" a few times ... what are they?

Jerome

PS:OCLP ... the saying is "For those who understand no explanation is needed and for those who do not none is possible".

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks