Duck Hunting 2022

sonnyuphi

I have heard that the upcoming season will present a new challenge that we haven't seen in many ,many years. Due to the ongoing issues of Avian Flu there will be no baiting/ feed ponds for ducks this year . For us here at Long Point that means no feeders in the west and east ends . It also means no feeding in the Long Point Company and Turkey Point Company marshes as well as ALL private hunt clubs . How this impacts our hunting remains to be seen. Birds will still be coming into the marshes to rest and water up as well as feed on natural sources in the marsh. How many will be the big question ? the Long Point Company and Turkey Point Club held thousands and thousands of ducks - probably 10X what we had at least in the Waterfowl Unit. I hope I am being optimistic and that a lot of these birds will spread themselves out over the marshes on Long Point but we will have to wait and see. My father hunted here in the late 40's and the 50's and 60's without feed ponds and the hunting then was excellent . I guess we will see how this works out and also see if the government makes this a permanent thing or just temporary until this avian flu passes.

I have heard that the upcoming season will present a new challenge that we haven't seen in many ,many years. Due to the ongoing issues of Avian Flu there will be no baiting/ feed ponds for ducks this year . For us here at Long Point that means no feeders in the west and east ends . It also means no feeding in the Long Point Company and Turkey Point Company marshes as well as ALL private hunt clubs . How this impacts our hunting remains to be seen. Birds will still be coming into the marshes to rest and water up as well as feed on natural sources in the marsh. How many will be the big question ? the Long Point Company and Turkey Point Club held thousands and thousands of ducks - probably 10X what we had at least in the Waterfowl Unit. I hope I am being optimistic and that a lot of these birds will spread themselves out over the marshes on Long Point but we will have to wait and see. My father hunted here in the late 40's and the 50's and 60's without feed ponds and the hunting then was excellent . I guess we will see how this works out and also see if the government makes this a permanent thing or just temporary until this avian flu passes.
Does this mean granger can’t have a flooded corn field or any of the bigger gun clubs or does this just apply to the lesser clubs with less resources aka money

I don't think a flooded cornfield falls under normal agricultural practices ? I'm waiting for CWS to make an official report on this subject or maybe somebody from the LPWA can confirm or deny this as it will effect two ponds down at the Unit. If it is confirmed will the Unit place duck blinds in those ponds to allow more public access to hunting as per their mandate ? I believe they have decent access roads to them making them more handicapped friendly.

They don’t feed at rondeau. I hint at rondeau, hullet and long point and I have always found the ducks to be more likely to give my decoys a gander in the places that don’t feed. Just my personal opinion of course.

It is my understanding that flooded corn does not fall under the baiting umbrella there fore it will go unchanged. So you can bet you bottom dollar if my understanding is the case then millionaires and grainger and anyone else with the ability to flood corn will Have more than ever to make up the difference. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the unit this year but I am more than hopeful we will have a bang up season as usual.

So , if there are no feed ponds will the Unit open up that area(s) and put blinds there ? Or keep it closed off anyways so the birds will have a quiet place to roost ? The bonus of putting in blinds in those areas is the roadway into them would create more Walk-in Blinds or benefit those with handicaps .

Confirmed. No permits for 2022 will be issued due to the presence of Avian Flu. Should make for an interesting season this year ? I wonder if birds will still go to the feed ponds out of habit ? Mind you the lack of an easy meal will force them to look elsewhere and Blinds that weren't so hot may become the new honey holes ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks