Dr Dave Ankney "Canvasbacksca" passes away

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
IMG_zps4b0811c5.jpg

His dedication will be missed, but I'm sure his influence will live on for a very long time around Long Point and beyond. I'm sorry for the loss to our community.

I have had the privage to have Know Dave for most of my life and iam pround to have been able to call him a friend .I have lots of great memories to remember him always ! We have lost a great friend and supporter to the way of life we enjoy . The next time a bull can comes into my decoys i will let it go !

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

Hello Duck Soup,

The following is a copy of my letter to Dave and Sandi that was posted in the "Tribute to Dr. Dave Ankney" within the Long Point Waterfowl web site on February 13, 2013.

Hello Dave and Sandi,

I just read about your health issues in the recent Long Point Waterfowl update this evening.

Although we only met a few short years ago I have had the pleasure to benefit from your waterfowl management experience, knowledge and wisdom. Through our many e-mails you have either provided me with the information or have guided me as to where I could find the information that I was searching for.

Your initial support for me to continue with my Tundra Swan proposal (although you did express some concerns about it) was greatly appreciated. As a result I eventually established The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation which will soon be able to financially support the implementation of a Tundra Swan harvest in Canada as well as other waterfowl related projects … be they habitat restoration, research or preserving our waterfowling (hunting of ducks, geese and swans) heritage.

I read in the Delta Waterfowl Anniversary Edition last fall about the criticism that you previously had endured (many years ago) regarding your initial proposal for a spring snow goose season long before it was eventually accepted by waterfowlers, waterfowl managers and the general public. This historical account only served to reinforce my determination to pursue my Tundra Swan proposal with the Canadian Wildlife Service.

You have no doubt left a favourable impression on the face of the waterfowling world which waterfowlers will not forget any time soon … if ever.

I wish you and Sandi all the best with your respective health issues.

Jerome

The waterfowling community has lost a great leader.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks