Downrigger rod

Dewworm

Well the seaonnis getting closer..was wondering what the thought are of the tdr rigger rod in red-light.. how is it for walleye..I'm used to light ugly sticks..seen the okuma gl pro rod to in red-light..
Any review is good..
Dewworm

I have couple old (25) tdr and I use them for both walleye and salmon

I found the ugly stick 9' lite is too lite for salmon hard to muscle them away from motor or into the net ....but do-able

The lighter the rod ...the more fun it will be yo bring walleye in with. I think the release used for walleye fishing is probably most important

I am all in on Ugly stiks. I have a couple different lengths -- the older ones (are 25+ years old) and a little heavier which is great for salmon. I have the lighter 9' rods which aren't going to break with a salmon but it is a little more exciting. 2 have Okuma cold water, 2 have Okuma 30D (heavier rods), and I have these old shimano reels on another set.

For fun I have 30 year old Ugly Stik Tiger Stick with a big Shimano real and lead core that runs off the back and catches the most fish.

I have been looking at the white combo walleye rods... for $125 they come with a counter and seem great for Erie.. a little light for a bigger salmon. But I am going to have to avoid the rod fetish this year and focus on getting a planer board set up to run off my hard top.

My dad always tried other rods but for the price and given I broke all the other rods (he broke a few too)... the Ugly Stik wins every time. Also really like the Okuma reels -- i know not everyone does and yes, the counters on the cold waters must be watched as they stop working some times.

The oldest ugly stick I have is a medium action spinning rod with a shakespeare reel that lived on the bottom for a year in Lac Des Miles Lac after my dad dropped it in. My grandfather caught it a year later. It is ~33/35 years old.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks