Down rigger line.

Dewworm

What are you all using..I'm running 15 lb big game with 15 to 20lb floro leader about 9 to 12 ft..notice fleas on the knot last trip out and it stops my slider line from going to the lure when a fish is on the main line..was wondering if I should forgo the leader and just run 15 lb main line, or will i notice less hits due to the lack of floro

I use 30lbs big game and wire lines on Dipsy for both Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Lake Ontario is very bad for fleas. I often think I would do better on Erie with lighter line but on Lake Ontario, they don't seem to be shy on the heavier line.

Lake erie for water fleas is crazy right now, i have never seen so much collecting on lines in the last 5 years, this year is an exception, ridiculous amounts i have been dealing with.
I too run 30lb big game on rigger rods.
30lb braid on dipsys.

30 lb Braid with a flouro leader on Erie. Initially costs a bit more but pays for itself in labour.
Low maintenance...
50 lb braid for Ontario until fleas are bad then use the mono only when i have to.
just my preference. It all works

Flouro leaders being invisible is a complete myth and a marketing ploy. It's amazing how easily some anglers are fooled! Lol! Take a piece of mono and a piece of flouro and hold them beside each other under water and guess what? Flouro is just as visible as mono. No need to waste you $$$.....I run 30lb mono or reels that also see salmon action and 40lb mono leads on dipsey rods. Those setups get just as much action as the smaller Erie specific reels I have spooled with 12lb.

Josh

Yea I think at lower lb test it's harder to see, once you get into larger diameter lines they can see it no doubt sometimes I think it's better to use something you have more confidence in..also like to use it for abrasion resistance..might try my straight 15 lb line and see if they still bite

The claim is that raw flourocarbon has a similar refractive index as water. Unfortunately in the real world that does nothing to make fishing line 'invisible'. Its a complete BS marketing scheme and it has clearly worked quote well as many anglers swear by it.

As an avid Steelheader I am very conscious of line visibility in clearer warer situations and in many cases have went back to mono as flouro is overpriced and overhyped. Where it does excel is in situations where abrasion resistance or a sinking line are advantageous. I use 40lb and 100lb for Pike and Musky leaders quite successfully.

Josh

IMO anything over 20lb is overkill for riggers... And anything over 30lb braid for dipseys is overkill as well... My rods get double duty for Erie eyes and bows and Ontario salmon...

I enjoy the fluro debate... Is it invisible in water? No its not... It does though have less light reflection, smaller diameter and better abrasion resistance...

I have never snapped a fish off using the line weights i do use EXCEPT when its angler error... Rigger cable run in or wire diver run in... Set your drags properly... ;)

Use what you have confidence in is the best solution... If it works for you... DO IT...

One advantage of fluorocarbon is that it is stiffer which is good for running flies on flasher. the stiffness gives the whipping action the flies need. I have 40 lbs fluorocarbon I use to re tie my flies when I see damage caused by the teeth rubbing on the lines.

Some people still use mineral based oil over synthetics as well.... doesn’t mean the mineral oil doesn’t work! but the synthetic will be marginally better for some situations and dramatically better for others. Depends if you are performance oriented or you want something to last
Same thing here.
Mono has too many disadvantages. It’s good if you want stretch in certain cases and it’s good for backing. Will it still work.... yes

I am still on my original newbie spoolings - a little overkill lines but I never had any losses of tackle (I check the leaders/flies/rigs regularly and making new ones or re-tying as necessary)

- 40lb Big Game mono for Lake O (once you shake it gently, fleas just fall off)
- 25lb Big Game mono for Lake E
- 40lb fluoro for almost all Lake O leaders and either 40lb or 50lb on re-tied flies (Seaguar Blue/STS or Berkley ProSpec, whatever is better priced at the time)
- 20/25 lb fluoro for all Lake E rigs/leaders, I try to use exclusively Seaguar Gold for these since 1) it was once cheap at Outfitters and 2) It is thinner and possibly even less visible than the rest of the fluoro (and a little softer, hence using that upward snell knot, don't know what it is called, same knot that is used for tying flies)
- 80lb braid for dipsy rods
- 50lb Seaguar STS fluoro between dipsy and the flasher on Lake O

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks