Donation Dollars đź’°Put to Work

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to being able to relieve a bunch of you of the pleasure of seeing advertsing, the donations received to date have given me enough leeway to invest in improving site performance. The current plan with the Canadian-based hosting company, Canspace, is the "pro" shared hosting package. Under this plan, 6-8 shares resources, network bandwidth, etc, with a random grouping of other similar web sites. I suspect 6-8 has long been hogging up those resources, especially in the busy summer months.

For roughly double the price, I've now upgraded to a VPS (virtual private server) plan. The plan is nicknamed "Erie", so I figured it must be the right plan for this web site:p. With this plan, the server, albeit virtual, is dedicated solely to the 6-8 site. In theory, response time should improve. Any bottlenecks can be attributed solely to the operation of this site. Having control over the server also gives me more flexibility to add other features. The folks at Canspace aren't sure when they can deliver on the new hardware, as COVID has created demand for such upgrades and a corresponding backlog. I'll let you know when the upgrade is due to happen.

Any multi-site high availability for datacentre redundancy? The VPS could have snapshots taken and restored to the live backup server and a DNS based load balancing solution like Cloudflair (with enhanced benefit of DDOS protection) would send HTTP get requests and if it doesn't get the desired 200 OK flips the A records over to the backup server.

Heh I'm just bragging that I understand every word of what you said. Angler on the weekends and IT Sysadmin M-F.

Hehe... well don't call bullshit on me too much @Wildfire. I did have Cloudflare CDN out in front of the site for a while and it's still an option if needed. I didn't ask the service provider about DR Recovery Point and Recovery Time objectives with the new set-up, but I likely should go over those with them, just in case :D . The stack I'm running is LAMP with Xenforo forum software written in PHP. The landing page for the site and a couple of other static pages are delivered via Wordpress.

Translation for @Old Cut LongPointer ...
  • we can do stuff if troublemakers try to flood Channel 6-8 with volume or do other nasty :poop:
  • if a disaster happens to the new computer that will host the site or to Channel 6-8 , I should confirm with the hosting company how long it will take to recover and how much data might be lost, worst case
  • the server is running Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP software to support the Xenforo forum and Wordpress application software

Ok, the new server is just now out of the oven. I still have to apply some icing before she'll be ready . It's better to do these changes in the dead of winter before a freeze-up, but, what the hell, the Lord hates a coward. There may be a bump or two in the next couple of days, so please bear with me. I will call in @Wildfire for back-up if things go south.;)

Ok, the new server is just now out of the oven. I still have to apply some icing before she'll be ready . It's better to do these changes in the dead of winter before a freeze-up, but, what the hell, the Lord hates a coward. There may be a bump or two in the next couple of days, so please bear with me. I will call in @Wildfire for back-up if things go south.;)

Well @stomp the current server's hostname is athena.canspace.ca so at least we have the gods on our side. What are we calling the new one? Poseidon? Triton? How about Glaucus, the fisherman's sea god?

Well @stomp the current server's hostname is athena.canspace.ca so at least we have the gods on our side. What are we calling the new one? Poseidon? Triton? How about Glaucus, the fisherman's sea god?
Yes @Wildfire , some here, I'm sure, are self-medicating for Glaucoma... So Glaucus might kill 2 birds with one stone (pardon the pun)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks