Does anyone here target Largemouth in the bay?

Puggz

I can't believe that there isn't some big bucket mouths in the bay but they've eluded me so far.. :mad:

They say that the big fish like to be closer to deep water but I've looked high and low for an area of good cover (weeds. lilly pads, mats, etc) that is adjacent to deeper water. The only places I've found like this are the channels (dredged?) leading to some of the marinas on the west side.

I've had limited success around Pottahawk and on the north shore but nothing more than 2lbs..

What am I missing?

Flip heavy worms or throw spinner bait the heavy reed or cane grass. Look for pockets or holes in the edges. I have not been bucket mouth hunting in a few years in the bay, but that has worked well in the past for me.

There are plenty of isolated weeds throughout the inner bay in 7 to 8 ft that can hold some big largemouth throughout the year but especially now. You'll also probably hook some pike. You need a good pair of polarized glasses as they're not very big and can be hard to spot

Agreed with fishsmith, isolated weeds throughout the bay hold some beauties. I've done well this year on the largies.

I have fished the bay a lot this summer mostly for largemouth . I have noticed in the last two weeks there has been a ton of baitfish in shallow and in channels. Once you find the baitfish the good largemouth are usually around. I usually key in on wind blown sea walls with 3-5ft of water and flip them with a texas rigged craw or if the weeds are not tight to the sea walls il skip a senko tight to the wall and you can usually pick up a few good fish. But like the others had said the isolated weeds hold some good fish also heres a few pics from the last few times out good luck!1112.jpg bass113.jpg

Last edited:
Nice fish Nater,
Thanks everyone for the advise. If the forecast holds, I'll be out on the bay this Wednesday. :-D.

If you are only looking for a good fight or "catch and release" there are lots of 4-6 lb. sheephead in the bay. They don't give much of a head shake or tail dance but they are good rodbenders. All you need to do is go perch fishing and you'll get sheephead.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks