Do Trout

can't miss

Do trout eat mosquitoes larvae, have a large pond that I have had trout in before, deep enough and cool enough for them, land locked, and they do fine. They don't over winter though? Not sure if it's oxygen levels due to ice\freeze up or spring run in from peat swamp?
Concern is, I get my minnow's there as well, endless supply of fat heads, not looking to loose that either?
Pond does get so "mosquitoed" out here shortly it's almost un bearable. Not concerned if they eat some minnows, but don't want to dry the minnow supply out either, for when we all get back to fishing. Thinking 8-10 inch, big enough heron's leave them alone somewhat?

Carp would eat a lot of larvae but bows would eat your minnows down. We had perch in a friends pond that helped a lot but got stunted.

Hate to say it can't miss but 8-10 inch is just a nice sized snack for Herons. Friend had a pond with 1lb +++ Rainbows and they could guzzle them down no problem if they swam up shallow to were the tiny creek flowed in.

I have a small back yard pond and the herons have taken Koi up to 10 inches. Anything bigger may end up dying or injured from a stab wound. If they can wade in to your pond then any fish near by is in danger. They won't land in the water so if the depth drops off quick, they don't have as good of a chance. You could colour the water with fish friendly dye if practicable. This was the first winter that I shut the waterfalls off and ran an aerator and a 350 watt floating heater. That seemed to work but temperatures weren't all that bad this winter. It's rotting vegetation and fish waste that will displace the oxygen that will kill fish. If there's a opening for the gas to escape than there should be enough oxygen. I would think if trout can see anything moving on the surface, they would eat it if nothing better is available. Goldfish love larvae and are cheap and breed multiple times a summer. This is a bit of info I have learned or have been told, hope it helps.

I think your minnows would eat more mosquito larvae than the trout.
Trout would target the minnows.

Thanks for your reply's. The pond does have steep sides that hamper wading birds, and some sort of veg\bush growth on the banks that that comes out over the water a few ft, hampering wading birds. The front sd I keep manicured, some what, but our dog patrol's that and herons for the most part have learned it's not a safe space.
Don't think aeration would work here, spring run off comes in from a peat bog, smells like farts, and because of the lay of the land, can't be stopped. Minnows tough it out, and yes, probably carp or goldfish could, but trout I can eat, and fun to catch. It was a few yrs ago now, but did the farm trout thing for a few seasons, don't care for them from the trout farm for eating, but after a few weeks in pond they weren't bad.
Big enough pond I'm looking at 20-30, 12 inch or so, depending on price, and they grow like weeds. Plus they are always willing to bite.
Again, thanks for reply's and always interested in any thoughts, Happy Easter all

I would run a bubbler in summer and winter
Don't draw much hydro....and won't hurt anything.

As far as peat run-off ....there are fish friendly additives which will neutralize it.

Contact Tom Taylor @ fish farm supply

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks