Disappointing day on the lake

whitbytrader

The wife and I left Port Bruce on Tuesday morning at about 10 a.m. Fishing was good, 7 walleye and an assortment of Sheepshead and Silver bass kept us busy. While trolling back to the Pier, looking for another Walleye my engine quit. Tried to refire the engine but no luck. Checked the fuel, still had some but added more just in case, no luck. After trying to get it started for 30 minutes we decided we better start looking for help. Boats were going in and out from Bruce so we honked our horn and stood up and waved my paddle. I could clearly see drivers in some of the boats so they should have seen me but no one even slowed down. I called out on my radio asking for assistance, no one replied. Have been sitting dead in the water now for an hour and a half and decided it was time to try the coastguard. Just as I was about to call I received a message over the radio asking for my location. Silver Dolphin from Search and Rescue arrived in about 15 minutes and towed to NEM. $100 for the tow but I was glad to pay it to get back to land. Turned out I had water contaminating my fuel, easy fix. Disappointed that it took almost 2 hours to get help but it all worked out in the end.

Had damn near the same thing happen in a buddy's boat 3years ago out of burwell. A$$ end locked up&killed the engine..dead in the water for almost 2hrs into sundown. Tried to and kept trying to wave down a few "fellow anglers" that were near by while captian calls out on the radio..nothing. just b4 we was fixing to make a call to the coast guard the captain located his side arm(flare gun). Well let's try this! HAHAHA! Waited for another boat heading for home going by close b4 he fired..there's one! shoot!. surely he must have seen that...NOTHING! Just kept on rolling by.. fire another1 just in case some one other then he may have seen it,everone was heading in by now. Every just keeps getting on plane & out of sight. 10mins go by and we see a light flashing in our direction from a looong way off. I flash him with the light and he flashed back! Marvalous!! He says he was just over 2miles from port heading in when he thought he seen a flare go up in his rear view mirror. kept looking and sure enough it was the second shot that he seen clearly. He was rather pissed for he passed the boats heading in while he was heading for us. "If I seen your flare from 4miles! them a$$holes had to have been able to see them from a quarter mile".
$100. all he wanted was gas back in the tank if we could. Damn good man in my books for going out of his way.

Seems Someone will always help out a "fellow angler" but not everyone will.

Its a Rather "f@$%&d" feeling when you know damn well someone seen you in your attempt to flag them down and they keep rolling by AIN'T IT! LOL!
?..Maybe We should have tried the whistle in the safety can. Hahaha!

Did you do a mayday call on the radio? Cause once you do the mayday call the coast guard will relay the mayday and for anyone in the area to assist. If so anyone is in the vicinity that has a vhf radio is suppose to respond if they can safely and if they do not can face a fine up to 25K. Come on people do not be asses and help a fellow fisherman out if needed. Never know it may happen to you and how would you feel if no one wanted to assist you. I think most people who need help are willing to pitch in some $ to cover the extra gas you may have used by assisting. Sorry to hear that happened to you whitbytrader.

I would never just drive by a stranded boat on the water regardless if I’m on the way out or heading back in!!!! I’ve towed stranded boats & jet ski’s in b4 & would never accept a dime for helping out! I’ve also been stranded out @ Big rice in November once & had 2 awesome people come all the way across the bay to tow me in! Common sense dictates on the water & it’s awesome just having them thank U for being a decent person ???

Happened a few years ago to us just past the bluffs in Long Point. Engine quit. Boats going by, some we knew from the marina......GRRRRR. Finally got a tow in. People who went by comments at the dock were,,,thought you were drifting and fishing. With our shirts on the end of the paddle?? RIGHTT.. Some good samaritans out there! But it is everyone job to stop and help in some manner!!!!

We've been towed in once. I've towed a few. My dad handed over his trolling motor battery to a guy at Burwell so he could keep fishing for the day. All on his word that it would be at the ramp at a certain time. It was. Would never take $ for helping someone out. I would hate to experience a situation where I needed help and others turned a blind eye.

We have towed twice, last time guys who were in the 444 they had ran out of gas chasing the big one! They only had 1 walleye unfortunately we didn’t get them in in time for the weigh in! What would be the proper way to call for help in the situation?

Try tying a life jacket to the paddle and wave it..easier to see and SHOULD signal you need help.
If you have a radio, put out a PAN PAN call. As was posted, it alerts the CCG. Give them a GPS location just in case it gets dark.
With the # of boats out of Bruce, Burwell, etc its a shame when anyone has to sit waiting with no response.
...and...if you have a cell, post you need help HERE on 68.....I can almost guarantee you'll get help

We have towed twice, last time guys who were in the 444 they had ran out of gas chasing the big one! They only had 1 walleye unfortunately we didn’t get them in in time for the weigh in! What would be the proper way to call for help in the situation?
A pan pan call to the coast guard on channel 16... or *16 on your cellphone...

pan pan is for non-life threatening situations... Dead in the water, out of gas... Mayday is for serious or life threatening situations...

Sorry to hear you had to experience that situation @whitbytrader. I have towed many over the years and like the guy that did respond to you I would never pass someone in trouble. Many today seem to care less about their fellow man, sad but it's just the reality of the times we live in. Happy to hear you got in safely. :)

Sorry to hear the challeges. My experience was much better when a blown fuse left me stranded near potohawk....a great tow in...i was out of cash so slipped them a $ 100 cheque to say thanks...and then recieved it back in the mail...uncashed with a note saying it wan't necessary for a boating emergency. That restores a lot faith in fellow boaters!

Did you do a mayday call on the radio? Cause once you do the mayday call the coast guard will relay the mayday and for anyone in the area to assist. If so anyone is in the vicinity that has a vhf radio is suppose to respond if they can safely and if they do not can face a fine up to 25K. Come on people do not be asses and help a fellow fisherman

out if needed. Never know it may happen to you and how would you feel if no one wanted to assist you. I think most people who need help are willing to pitch in some $ to cover the extra gas you may have used by assisting. Sorry to hear that happened to you whitbytrader.
You NEVER call MayDay unless the vessel is sinking. It triggers a coast guard search and rescue that costs thousands of dollars and ties up emerengancy assets. The correct call is a PAN PAN. = vessel in distress in need of assistance. It will be answered by coast guard and they will find vessel in area to assist. Typically a power squadron member that is aware of the mariners rules of the sea.
Also call on Chanel 16 the proper Chanel to ask for help on. 68 is just for chit chat.

I have been towed in, and have towed twice. Best reward but not necessary was case of beer at Erieau. We all have a ethical and legal responsibility to assist and provide assistance for people in distress.
Hey, we are all in this together.

Check your boat insurance. They might cover the towing fee if you have a receipt.

Sheeeesh I hope it was just bad luck or poor visibility or something. Here on nipissing you routinely see entire groups assisting people in need of help, summer or winter.

I really hope people are not that disrespectful. I never had an issue but if i saw someone needing help i will always lend assistance in hope that other will do the same. If I am on the water I always have channel 68 on vhf on just call!

Install a water separator filter, use a fuel additive that absorbs moisture can't hurt also.Glad you made it back in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks