Dipsy diving depth highly inaccurate?

If the fish are above 30' use a deeper diving boddy bait on your boards. Trolling Quinte in Nov., Dec. that's all we use and with a shallow runner put a snap Off Shore OR16, 1,2,3 OZ. 50' back from your bait.
All my reels have Braid for hook set.

The Fish Hawk TD solved all my issues with the reel counter and the other variables . I go to my proven counter readings and I know approximately what depth I'm running at . I also run a Water wolf cam and I'm seeing alot of fish coming from way above and below my lures . Fish can see from quite a distance . As long as I'm in the zone , the fish will come .

I had done this a couple years ago and wanted to recheck. I want to know what my counter says when I’m 100 feet out. One was 115, the other was 139. Pretty big difference between them. Labelled up the rods and ready to go. And yes, I’m one of those guys that does not have a full spool, but it makes no difference if I know my numbers. I can use my conversion factor with my standard charts to get me pretty close. Most of the time I can do the math in my head. A 10 count means I have only actually let out about 7 feet on one reel and about 9 feet on the other. Makes a big difference. The other way to think of it is, if you want 10 feet of line, I have to let out a count of about 11 on one rod and 14 on the other. By the way, it’s not linear. The factor changes depending on how many feet you have out since the diameter of your spool changes as you let line out. I just stick with my factor at 100’ because it’s less complicated, so I use the same factor for 70’ and 130’. The difference isn’t enough for me to worry about.9FA99BBD-03B8-4A87-9705-C2E2187A79DD.jpeg

If you really want to know how deep your dipsys are running per ammount of line, start trolling on a flat contour and keep letting out 10 feet of line at a time until you start rubbing bottom, then you know for sure. Then try running faster or slower and see how it affects the depth. They run deeper then the chart in the box states.

Calibrate your reels, Lance Valentine has a video on YouTube how to do it for those that are confused. Thats the only way you can replicate results once you find a pattern to the fish. Otherwise, sure you will be close but I like to be confident in where my lines are running. For my purposes the precision trolling app works, if anything my dipsys run a bit deeper then what they say they are, but again I know this because I figured out how much line to drag bottom.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks