dipsy divers and lipped crank baits

triggerfish

So I went out solo with 2 rods set with dipsy divers for the first time yesterday and managed 4 walleye, then I lost both lures to seperate break offs (ralapa scatter rap, and scatter rap tail dancer) and no more bites on ripplin redfins. My question is if lure dives 6-9 feet or 16-19 feet do I subtract that number from the depth I want to reach when using dipsy diver chart? So lets say I am in 50 feet and want to go to 45, do I minus the amount the crank will dive from 45 , ie: 45-6 =39 and then use that value as my guide for dipsy chart to determine amount of line to let out?

I run an average of 5 dipseys on a 1 2 3 settings I run convector 20s spooled with 50lb power pro braid have not lost a Dipsey in years I also run snubbers and 6ft leader off back 20lb florowcarbon very rarly break off I run spoons 90% of the or ripplin red fins noth with a diving lip I have more success on this setup with the fishing so good now I have not put planner boards out last 6 charters cant keep the 5 lines down long enough to even bother with leadcore.

You will not get the full dive depth out of your lure as the dipsey will set the main depth unless you put 50 or 100' after the dipsey which is not suggested unless you like handlining? :) You will get some though so unless your lure is bigger than the dipsey it will likely only drop about half or less of the normal diving depth you would get long lining. The dipsey chart will vary so you likely did bump bottom due to speed or a turn as mentioned above.

I would think hold the amount of line your leader is in the water with your crank on it and that should be the depth it will run after the dippsy. Dippsy is heavy and hard pulling so I can't see it changing its depth too much.

The deep diving action of the big lipped cranks will affect the dive of the dipsy by pulling down on the back of the dipsy where the leader is attached. The dipsy will not plane as designed so its difficult to get an exact depth. Same applies when you attach the deep diving cranks to jet divers.

Thanks very much for all the informative answers. I will be at it again tomorrow if the wind forecast holds true.
I am running 30lb braid for main line to #1 dipsys set at 1 left /right. I have upgraded my leader to 14lb fireline . So with ring on dipsy using a ripplin or something similar I figure approx 90ft for 45 of depth at approx 2.5mph. Does this sound about right?
Also, straight out of bruce would I be better to head out to 55-60 ft and start there? I was in 51 feet on thursday

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks