Fishing Report Detroit river walleye first time

Ticker

Made the 3 hour drive yesterday afternoon and stayed at the Holiday Inn overnight so we can have an early and rested start in the morning " it took us 3 years to finally get there with work and wheather conditions and many other reasons we kept postponing it "
Checked out the boat launch and water conditions yesterday evening
Visibility was not bad but the wind was blowing pretty good
This morning "Wednesday " that changed wind was down from yesterday but water was very dirty on the Canadian side
Being it's our first time and not knowing the river we went right across to the US side where water was 4-5' visibility and at 42.6 degrees
First drift we started from just above the Ambassador bridge following some of the Michigan fishing reports in 32-39' of water
First pass 4 fish in the boat
We ended the day at 2:00 PM with around 40 walleye boated and our limit in the cooler
All fish are 16-18" eater size males unfortunately we did not find any big girls to pose for pictures
I must say if you are planning to fish there
GO! its absolutely fantastic
Boat traffic was very sparse
Most damage was done on 3/4 0z purple and blue jig head with black finesse minnow 5" length , a good quality stinger hooks are a must
I'm looking forward already for next trip there soon

Attachments

• 20190410_154320.jpg
    20190410_154320.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
  • 20190410_154320.jpg
    20190410_154320.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 195
  • Resized_20190410_152946_9809_1554926986850.jpeg
    Resized_20190410_152946_9809_1554926986850.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 200
What a great report @Ticker! ?
You guys did fantastic especially first time fishing there. Wow... hope you left some for the summer. :D

congrats @Ticker ..I agree thats a great first time fishin and catchin..

if thats a sample of size & quality walleyes for this season..i think most of us will be happy with that...I know i will be..looking forward to riggin lighter this season..

What a great report @Ticker! ?
You guys did fantastic especially first time fishing there. Wow... hope you left some for the summer. :D
Thanks @Wave Runner
I been fishing the Niagara for many years
And it's similar type of fishing/ boat control
I find the Detroit river less turbulent water but the wind can really throw you off your game not to mention the monster size great lake ships with so close proximity and the waves from them
Also we were lucky was not much boats out fishing but still had some "cowboy " zipping by us with in 15 - 20 feet
But I do it again " most definitely not on a weekend " ?

congrats @Ticker ..I agree thats a great first time fishin and catchin..

if thats a sample of size & quality walleyes for this season..i think most of us will be happy with that...I know i will be..looking forward to riggin lighter this season..
@mick
Yes I'm happy too with the size of fish specially for eating
Also I find it's a lot more fun on ligth rod and jigging vs trolling for the size
I'm looking forward some rigging too
It's almost here ! ?

You didn’t fish deeper than 20’? I’m surprised. I kinda thought 30’ plus was the depth ppl usually had to fish. I got plans to go there around end of month. Hope the winds don’t mess up the water clarity. Mind if I ask what’s the Michigan website for licences ? I may have to get one ugh I too will be driving nearly 3hrs. And will post a report once I return.

You didn’t fish deeper than 20’? I’m surprised. I kinda thought 30’ plus was the depth ppl usually had to fish. I got plans to go there around end of month. Hope the winds don’t mess up the water clarity. Mind if I ask what’s the Michigan website for licences ? I may have to get one ugh I too will be driving nearly 3hrs. And will post a report once I return.
@live2fish
I did say 32-39' best was 36 '
I will try to post the website but got to ask my wife ,she is the one gets it done for me
After all she is smarter than me " I hope she reads this thread "

Made the 3 hour drive yesterday afternoon and stayed at the Holiday Inn overnight so we can have an early and rested start in the morning " it took us 3 years to finally get there with work and wheather conditions and many other reasons we kept postponing it "
Checked out the boat launch and water conditions yesterday evening
Visibility was not bad but the wind was blowing pretty good
This morning "Wednesday " that changed wind was down from yesterday but water was very dirty on the Canadian side
Being it's our first time and not knowing the river we went right across to the US side where water was 4-5' visibility and at 42.6 degrees
First drift we started from just above the Ambassador bridge following some of the Michigan fishing reports in 32-39' of water
First pass 4 fish in the boat
We ended the day at 2:00 PM with around 40 walleye boated and our limit in the cooler
All fish are 16-18" eater size males unfortunately we did not find any big girls to pose for pictures
I must say if you are planning to fish there
GO! its absolutely fantastic
Boat traffic was very sparse
Most damage was done on 3/4 0z purple and blue jig head with black finesse minnow 5" length , a good quality stinger hooks are a must
I'm looking forward already for next trip there soon
Nice trip, thanks for the tips. I’m looking forward to going out to port Bruce soon for some early walleyes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks