Delta Waterfowl Survey

Tundra Swan

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

March 22, 2019

Re: Delta Waterfowl Survey

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of October 31, 2018 in which I provided several reasons why we should support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario this is to express my most sincere gratitude to those individuals (both members and non members) who took the time to complete the Delta Waterfowl survey last fall.

The genesis of this survey occurred last spring (after I had written several letters to Delta Waterfowl regarding the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada) when a representative of Delta Waterfowl contacted me to inquire if I would be willing to partner financially with them to conduct a waterfowl survey of its Ontario members to determine the level of support for a Tundra Swan season in this province.

Since Delta Waterfowl had already given its support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in western Canada earlier in the year I immediately agreed to fund this survey through a grant from my registered charitable foundation. We then agreed that Delta Waterfowl could (actually should) include other topics within this survey.

I also offered additional funding to be available to Delta Waterfowl for its Hunting Heritage and Conservation Center on an annual basis if "Swan Identification" was included in the waterfowl identification segment of its hunter training course. Delta Waterfowl agreed that "Swan Identification" would be appropriate and is now part of its hunter training course in this province. Starting this year a Tundra Swan decoy will also be available for each course.

The staff at the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit advised me towards the end of the hunting season that the response to the waterfowl survey had been very positive from both members and non members. However the support for a Sandhill Crane season was greater than the support for a Tundra Swan season ... no surprise there.

I subsequently provided Delta Waterfowl with a second grant from my registered charitable foundation to advocate on behalf of waterfowl hunters in Ontario regarding the various topics included within the waterfowl survey. I also offered additional funding to be available to Delta Waterfowl for this purpose on an annual basis. Consequently I would like to ask you to help Delta Waterfowl support us at this time by becoming a member.

In closing I understand that there were some waterfowl hunters who did not (probably never will) support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario. I accept and understand your decision not to support such a season ... let us agree to disagree on this issue. However many waterfowl hunters would like to be able to participate in such a season.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

March 27, 2019

Re: Available Funding

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of March 22, 2019 regarding the Delta Waterfowl survey that was conducted last fall and the additional subsequent funding that I provided to Delta Waterfowl for its advocacy work within Ontario this is to advise you that the equivalent of four (4) additional annual grants of $1,000.00 remain available for organizations that support waterfowl hunting ... the term "waterfowl" including ducks, geese and swans.

I attempted to contact the Board of Directors of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association after discussing this matter with the staff at the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit last fall by leaving a letter regarding a potential grant with supporting documentation for a board member (who was hunting the unit that day) to pick up at the office upon his "check out" later that day. The staff subsequently confirmed to me that he did receive my package that day.

Unfortunately (for whatever reason) the Board of Directors never contacted me regarding this potential grant. Consequently (having considered other options) I have recently offered Delta Waterfowl potentially two (2) additional annual grants of $1,000.00 that could be distributed to the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit and the Rondeau Waterfowl Management Unit to cover specific management costs in the future.

I have also suggested other options to Delta Waterfowl regarding additional "one time" grants that could be available to assist in establishing a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan as well as future funding for other projects after such a season is established in Canada ... more on this at a later date. Your continuous support regarding this Tundra Swan proposal remains appreciated.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks