March 29, 2022

Mr. Toby Barrett
MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk
Post Office Box 91
Simcoe, Ontario
N3Y 4K8

Re: Delist the Mute Swan

Dear Mr. Toby Barrett:

The issue regarding delisting the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species needs to be addressed since this is an invasive species that should never have been added to the list in the first place ... please correct the mistake now.

I have included two photographs of the inner part of Long Point Bay behind my house ... one how a wetland should look like at this time of year with Canada Geese, Canvasbacks, Red Heads, Bluebills, Ring-Necks, Buffleheads and Coots feeding and another how the same wetland actually looks like at this time of year after the Mute Swans arrive in the area.

The second photograph only shows six (6) Mute Swans behind my house but there were actually 24 Mute Swans forming a "wall" behind our four (4) properties (one property is a double lot) at the time.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS The photographs were taken on March 27 and March 28, 2022.
PS The swans, geese, ducks and coots were about 40 meters from my sea wall and the species mentioned above were identified using regular (7 x 35) binoculars.

c.c.

Dr. L. Lewis, Member of Parliament, Haldimand-Norfolk
Mr. J. Hughes, Manager, Wildlife & Habitat Assessment, Ontario Region, CWS
Dr. J. Leafloor, Acting Head, Aquatic Unit, Prairie Region, CWS
Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. M. Ryckman, Manager of Policy, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Stewart, Acting Manager, Wildlife Section, Conservation Policy, NDMNRF

Its pretty crazy to know that there on a protected species list even though there are information plaques in long point stating that they are a invasive species .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks