@ deer weekend , tagged for year

SouthernOntariosportsman

What an outstanding weekend, by far the best i have ever encountered,
I'm a simple hunter, don't travel to shoot deer. But that changed this weekend, My sister's place in the Niagara region , she called Thursday and said the neighbor will get your on his property Saturday and Sunday, and from the start of deer season i thought it was going to be a long year, with only seeing a couple deer every night, resident doe's.

The place in Niagara is 180 acres which i have never laid eyes on, had it all to myself for the shotgun week, Nov 2 -8,, Never used the gun i had with me, it was new and borrowed. maverick 88 pump with rifled barrel. I went with the Hornady Sst slugs. I arrived early at 5:45am Saturday, Got my gear out and ready, Started walking blindly in to 80 acres of woods, There was a 2 story hunting blind in the middle of property, Pretty nice if i may say. I bumped 2 doe on the walk to it, Sat in the blind for 30minutes , just watching the birds and squirrels do their thing, I said to myself , hey wait, why the heck am i sitting here in a good window of season and a new to me area to explore, I headed off walking out and making my way to the back of property , playing the wind just right, once i got down to the end, i started a slow walk on a 45 into the thick brush, walking down a 4 wheel trail, it was more than a 30 minute stalk pace, i reached the woods again, started in, and i stopped ,looked, listened to all the wildlife, As i stood there i watched 2-25 birds flush an area all together, i thought that was not usual , and something is coming in, so i knelt down in the trail, saw a small buck roaming, and he was headed to me, right at me, i have no clue how he didn't see me, but kept coming and stopping at 41 yards. turned, and the shot was placed. didn't run. Now the fun begins, Did the duty of cleaning it up to haul, 3.5hr drag to truck. Nov 7, 8:19 a, 2020.

I headed home today from there and a deer in the cooler, came home around 2;30. Unpacked, Thought, Why not give it a go , especially after getting one, natural high, so off i went to wheatley, Small 4 acre bush, good habitat all around. Sat in the ladder stand at 3;24pm , it wasn't long before i saw a little bigger buck walking down the corn edge on the field, he snuck in off my right , but still in front. walked in and hit a rub up for a while, ate some acorns, then he walked right at the stand, there is a big tree between the buck and me, as i watched with heart pounding, he dissappered, i would have to say a good 20 minutes , i was puzzled, cause i never took my eyes off him. turns out he bedded at the base of the tree between us. i did watch him get up and move into the shooting lane, still walking off to the left on a 45. quick range, 11 yards, let the bolt fly, he didn't run 30 yards, drilled him.
I will agree these are not great , special, record breaking, deer, but my freezer is stocked for the year,
Now off to waterfowl, and small game.
IMG_4215.PNG

thumbnail_IMG_4203.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4213.jpg
Best year yet for getting the job done in 2 days.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks